Surging Problem

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All. :)

During my drive with my 89 SC the other day I have noticed that when I apply 3/4 or WOT the engine loses power. This problem happens when the cars engine is fully warmed up. Especially at from a stop, the car just do not want to take off. While the car is cruising the throttle response appears to be ok. What do you guys think the problem is?

Maurice

mine did that two weeks ago and it was either a bad plug or wire. not sure which since i just replaced both. leaning towards wire since plugs looked ok.

Sounds like it could be a bad TPS to me. In higher gears it shows less. I just went through a similiar problem in my aunts Buick Gran Sport, TPS was the last thing I thought it would be, but that was it. OK here is a question, is it worse when you need to give a good amount of throttle going up a big hill? When it does it try flooring it-back off-floor it-back off, then drive normal, any change? My aunts car did that as well. All bad TPS signs.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Wow, 3 weeks later I get a response :D . Well I'm afraid you guys all are mistaken about the problem. Come to find out the day after I posted the surging problem my SC's engine stalled and it would not stay on. A strong smell was coming from under the car and the catalytic converters were red hot. At first I thought for sure the cats went bad, so I had the car towed to my mechanic the next day. My mechanic was not convinced that it was the cats and was going to inspect my SC further. A day later I went to my mechanic and to my surprise he told me the the coller to the supercharger tube came lose and too much air was being sucked into the engine causing the surge and eventually the stall. So the lesson I have learned are; one don't assume you know the problem until you do systematic checks to verify the issue, second to much air in SC's engine can cause the surging and stalling so make sure and whole intake system is sealed good.

Maurice

Wow, thanks for taking only three weeks to let us know what fixed your problem :D .
Unfortunately, many threads for help don't have that last vital piece of information.

SC-71 TBIRD said:
Hello All,

Wow, 3 weeks later I get a response :D . Well I'm afraid you guys all are mistaken about the problem.

Maurice

I would have to say check for vacumn leaks .thats what it sounds like to me

Maurice...Darrian already said he thought it was a vacuum leak...so clearly everyone was not mistaken.

David

Back