PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets

ricanlinx
08-22-2004, 01:36 PM
anyone kno where to get some head gaskets that will hold alot of psi ?? anything better than stock ??

MikeKanterakis
08-22-2004, 02:44 PM
ive heard about MLS (multiple layer steel) gaskets, but they require you to take your block and heads to a machine shop to put a perfect finish on the mounting surfaces.

David Neibert
08-22-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm using the MLS gaskets Mike mentioned and think they are great...but as mentioned they do require a smooth surface finish for best results, especially on the heads.

My block was decked but not super smooth (didn't know any better at the time) and still has milling cutter serations. With ARP studs torqued to 90 ft. pounds and a smooth surface finish on the heads, I've never had any leaks, even with nitrous and 18 pounds of boost. For added sealing I use copper coat spray on the block side of the gaskets.

Many of the high HP cars are still using Fel Pro blue composite gaskets without having any problems. I think Dave Dalke uses them and the Autorotor on his engine makes around 20 pounds of boost.

David

Scott Long
08-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I am using the Fel-Pro blue stripe permatorque head gaskets. I had the heads milled and the block side I just scraped clean with a gasket scraper.

I was working on the car one day and took the cooling fan out, when I put it back together I forgot to plug the fan in and I left it idling to warm up while I was finishing up at work for about 20 minutes. I came out and got in and my check gauge light was on, the coolant temp gauge was PEGGED red and I almost had a heart attack, so I shut it off and popped the hood, plugged the fan in. The water was boiling in the over flow resovoir. I was thinking "great my carelessness cost me another set of head gaskets. I let the fan run for a while and then started the car up and to my surprise it was running great. I did some quick checking and every thing was fine, oil was not milky, no smoke from the tail pipes, gauges all read normal. So I started to drive it home. Then I got to thinking, might as well give it some hell and see if the gaskets are blown. So I stopped on a back country road stalled it up, and ran a 1/4 mile run up to about 110 mph. Slowed back down to a stop. Car idled fine, temp was cool. That was back in January. I drive the car every day and I am not babying it either, I get on it, chirp 2nd gear, pin the speedometer out about once a week. And this car has not lost a drop of coolant. So thats my testimonial for fel-pro head gaskets.

On my next engine I will run MLS but only because the block is going to the machine shop. I have read some cool things about MLS gaskets and I would like to try a set myself. But then again for me I don't mind changing head gaskets. To some of us, its a major repair or sell it decision. For me its a case of beer and a saturday afternoon.

ricanlinx
08-23-2004, 02:50 PM
ok tahnks guys im sendin my heads out but the block is stayin in the car so i guess im going to go with the felpro blue stripe permatourque gaskets thanks everyone :D

68COUGAR
08-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Anybody every use Dead Soft Copper HG's? Probably would have to make them by hand. Top Fuel cars use them without problems & they run a lot higher boost than we do. Dunno about extended heat cycles though. Just a thought.

68COUGAR

Bigme574
08-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I have actually seen copper head gaskets for our cars for $90 either each or for the pair I can not remember. Do a search online, I know i've seen them.

Aaron