injector is loose

ThunderDave

I'm still trying to track down the cause of my running problem and it's becoming very frustarting. :mad:

After replacing the DIS, spark plugs and O2 sensor(that did clear the code for my rich condition-538 ), I'm ready to push it off a cliff. Darn, I don't think there are any around here. I guess I'll have to fix it. :D

I pulled the top IC tube off to check the injectors and found the cylinder 4 injector loose enough to turn. The scanner says cylinders 4, 5 & 6 have a problem, so the others might be loose too. I couldn't really check them with the plenum in the way.

Could this cause a huge vacuum leak as well as eratic gas flow and be the cause of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If that's not it, can someone show me where the nearest cliff is? :D

Thanks,

David

Thats normal with the injector and besides that if you had a vacume leak at the injector you would run lean not rich. Have you run any injector cleaner through it yet? Might not be a bad idea......you could have dirty injectors and they may be sticking open, just an idea.

There is clifts on the Neuse River in Goldsboro. :p :D LOL. Are you sure it isn't the coil pack? All those cylinders are on the same side of the coil pack.

Biggin'

Did you clear your codes or unhook the battery to see if the codes are all gone?

Also, you still need to get a good mechanical vacuum gauge to get a true vacuum reading of your engine. You might still have a vacuum leak somewhere. You can also do a compression check on those cylinders and compare to cylinders 1,2 and 3.

It's hard to believe that all three injectors on bank 2 are bad or that even all three spark plugs or wires on that side are bad. I would look toward a vacuum leak on that side of the head. Maybe at the injector o-rings or elsewhere.

Jerry

IF the coil was bad, would there be 3 cylinders on one side of the motor with the problem or one cylinder on each side of the motor? From what I've read and been told, there are 3 coils in the coil pack, so if it was to go bad, it would be 1 and 4 or 2 and 6 or 3 and 5. I haven't heard anybody say all 3 cylinders on one side of the pack could go bad and the other 3 be good.

David

Have you measured the resistance on the plug wires?

If the plug wires are old you may have too much resistance on them. This would delay/weaken the voltage to each plug....rich on one bank.

You could also check for cuts in the insulation on the wires.

Do you have an exhaust leak on the bank (head to manifold) A leak would reduce the exhaust flow past the O2 sensor and provide a lean reading until it went too rich. (Originally there's no exhaust manifold gaskets on our cars, but if you reuse the exhaust bolts the lock washers need to be replaced and I install the FELPRO exhaust gaskets)

Last edited:
3tbird said:
If the plug wires are old you may have too much resistance on them. This would delay/weaken the voltage to each plug....rich on one bank.

You could also check for cuts in the insulation on the wires.

Do you have an exhaust leak on the bank (head to manifold) A leak would reduce the exhaust flow past the O2 sensor and provide a lean reading until it went too rich. (Originally there's no exhaust manifold gaskets on our cars, but if you reuse the exhaust bolts the lock washers need to be replaced and I install the FELPRO exhaust gaskets)

I replaced the wires in January when I did HGs. I didn't put new lock washers on or gaskets. I haven't been able to hear any exhaust leak. The last code scan gave me a 111 (pass) reading on KOEO and KOER. I would think it's getting gas since it caused a rich condition and I pulled the plugs wires and have spark at the wire ends. Could there be internal damage?

I'll probably do some more tests, fuel pressure, compression and vacuum. Maybe those will give more information to go on.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

David

Back