side skirt removal(plastic screws?)

SCMakeiv

:eek: this is such a novice question to ask but the manual i bought doesnt say anything about the sideskirts and how to remove, but today i got motivated to try and do something about my starting to sag side skirts(what causes this? wear and tear or something in the skirt to weigh it down?) and attempted to undo the screw, well the screw is plastic and doesnt seem to wanna come out, the middle will spin around which tells me there is something goofy about the threading...so if anyone could just give a hint on what the hell im supposed to do to get these off that would be great...thanks...Brett

www.cardomain.com/id/scmakeiv '93 AOD SC

you have to turn the screws very gently with no forward pressure on them. If this doesnt work go to autozone and buy new ones cause youll be taking those out with needle nose pliers. I have seen mud get into the skirts before and cause the sagging, other than that I have no idea what would cause it.

Just yank them with a pliers and expect to replace them.

The sagging is caused by two things. One you can fix, the other you can't.

If the lower part of the chassis is rusting, the skirts will sag. Fix the rust, fix the sag.

But the other issue is that the skirts hang on a metal channel and are attached by the plastic screws at the bottom. Over time this causes the ABS plastic to pull down so that what is supposed to be a 90 degree edge on the top becomes something like a 110 degree edge as the top gets pulled down. I'm not aware of any way to fix this other than to heat it in an oven at a controled temp and then bend it back.

Back