tach still acting up

resmn12

i have a tach problem. sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. i read on hear someone said it was a cam position sensor so i replaced it but the tach is still acting up. i checked all the wiring and found nothing wrong. so what could it be now i have ran out of things to check.any help would be nice. thanks

Run EEC codes and see if there are any. It might be in the DIS system or maybe the tach itself is bad. The tach just plugs into the gauge cluster so it's an easy swapped part.

Jerry

resmn12 said:
i have a tach problem. sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. i read on hear someone said it was a cam position sensor so i replaced it but the tach is still acting up. i checked all the wiring and found nothing wrong. so what could it be now i have ran out of things to check.any help would be nice. thanks

If your not getting a code, then check the "tach test port" near the EEC test port at the passanger side firewall, make sure the plug is firmly in place. I beleive, it is a jumper plug. First and cheapest thing to check.

My tach would jump and drop out from time to time. I replaced the cam position sensor and it didn't help, I replaced the crank sensor and that didn't help. I replaced the DIS and fixed the problem. Every time the tach would quite I got a "SPOUT grounded" code from the computer, code 212 (for my 91 with EEC-IV) I think. DIS is the most expensive fix, dealerships want as much as 325 bucks for a DIS.

Back