Temperature Sensor Location ?

dkmccarty5

I have a '92 SC - and it has begun to run a lot warmer than usual. I replaced the thermosat - and checked the fan. The fan works. I'm suspecting that the temperature sensor (for the fan) is bad - and the fan is not coming on. Where is the sensor located ?

dkmccarty5 said:
I have a '92 SC - and it has begun to run a lot warmer than usual. I replaced the thermosat - and checked the fan. The fan works. I'm suspecting that the temperature sensor (for the fan) is bad - and the fan is not coming on. Where is the sensor located ?

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor that the computer reads is in the coolant hose that leads to the heater core. Specifically; the pasanger side, under the air intake tube (tube between the MAF and the TB). There should be a black metal tube about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter with a single wire sensor threaded into a bung on that tube, thats the ECT. There is another that is in the thermostat housing, but that one only sends a signal to the temp gauge.

hope this helps.

Thanks Rich ! Any other ideas as to what may be causing the over-temp condition ? The coolant was flushed/filled, the thermostat was replaced and the fan does work.

I know this sounds hokey,

But did you bleed the coolant at the bleed nipple/biscut/t-stat housing? It's an unlikely scenario, but if you were seeing tempurature "swings" that could represent a pocket of air that is intermittently blocking coolant passage.

It's happened to me, so that's why I suggest double checking the bleed. Otherwise it could be the heads blowing gasses past the gaskets (although there will be other signs soon to follow). This is likely a last resort, but it never hurts to do a radiator leakdown test at 15~17 PSI.

M Randolph

Thanks Aviation. We did bleed the cooling system - there doesn't appear to be any trapped air. The temp doesn't "swing" - it simply stays rather warm (207 degress). My guess is that it could be the ECT that Rich (above) talks about.

Could also be the IRCM. (Integrated Relay Control Module).
Its the black box thing located in front of the stock air filter box.
This is the relay that controls the fan, among other things. :)

Hey TBirdDriver - that's what the dealer just said ! But he didn't know how to check the relay. Is there a way to check the relay ? It supposedly controls the fan, the fuel pump and the a/c.

I don't know how to check it, but someone here might.

When my A/C stopped cycling I just bought another one.

Have you replaced your radiator cap? A cap that doesn't hold pressure will mean that your cooling system is not functioning at 100% efficiency. Be warned - I replaced the radiator cap because the old one was holding only 5psi and immediately cracked the upper plastic tank in the radiator. The plastic tanks for the SC are not sold separately unlike most other makes.

Back