PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Set Recomended ???

SuperCoupe007
08-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, I am exhausted of my "Shifting Trouble" nightmare, so in hopes of resolving it, i am going to take my friends recomendation of throwing out the CenterForce and getting a new set, Now my question is, what would u guys recommend ??? So far i called Pep Boys who offers me a LUK clutch set, I think its an OEM replacment. Auto Zone offers a VALU-CRAFT set, :confused: :confused: Yeah i know, i've never heard of valu-craft either. So, so far i am leaning towards the LUK one, since my car is stock, no need for a racing clutch, but i would like to know what you guys would recommend me ??? any and all informations is appreciated guys ..
thanks.......

drsonier
08-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I had 149km on my original clutch , I had replaced it with a LUK and replaced slave cynlinder while I was thier. The difference was night and day. I cannot speak enought good things about the clutch. I have a stock supercoupe , so performance wasn't really impacted. The clutch is feather light now, in the end it cost me 802$ , 300$ for the clutch and pressure plate, 150$ for the slave and the balence was labour,shipping and taxes.

joshbea6
08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
IMO try the Stage I Clutch from SPEC.

You can see the link at:

http://sccoa.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=319795

It is towards the bottom of the page. Price for the clutch is $245 for 89-93, $295 for 94-95.

Have heard great things about SPEC.

68COUGAR
08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
IMO try the Stage I Clutch from SPEC. Price for the clutch is $245 for 89-93, $295 for 94-95.
SPEC is the way to go. I have a stage III & LOVE it, but my car is modded. The SPEC is Much more robust than the OEM Luk clutch.

Some people like the "light as a feather" clutch pedal. I bought my '89 XR-7 new & always thought the clutch was mushy. You kinda knew you were stepping on something, but you were never sure what it was. I grew up with the '60's & '70's muscle cars, & like the feel of something more substantial. Now those Old School racing cluthes would give you Gorilla Leg. The SPEC is heavier than OEM, but not nearly like the racing clutches of old.

Also, you need to figure out what material & design you want for a clutch disk. They are NOT all the same!!!!!!! Sprung or unsprung? Marcel or no marcel? Carbon Fiber? Ceramic? Organic? Weight assisted, or not?

OR

You can just go to Auto Zone & buy anything that the Parts Gerbil "claims" will fit!!!!!

68COUGAR

wezar
08-23-2004, 11:41 PM
I have a Spec stage III in my modded SC. I also have a bone stock SC that I plan on installing a stage I or even Stage II.

http://www.paautoracing.com/cd/ Save 10% and free shipping.

http://www.specclutch.com/

Stage one less 10% is $224 with free shipping.

SuperCoupe007
08-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Hhmmm The Spec sounds pretty good. I forgot to get the price on the LUK so i'll call back tomorrow to see what price it is. But by the looks of it, i might end up getting the SPEC... I'll keep u guys up dated, thanks guys.... :)

SuperCoupe007
08-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, what is the life expectency for the SPEC clutch, and the LUK clutch as well ????? I just don't want another clutch that is said to last about 50K miles and then ends up dying on me at 25K miles.. thanks guys....

wezar
08-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I would call Spec tech support with that question.

I imagine its subjective. If you run it hard and are in stop and go driving often it won't last as long.

keisers1001
08-25-2004, 01:07 AM
I did alot of resarch on the clutches...my main concern was that for a mostly daily driver, a Centerforce clutch was going to give me problems (premature wear, chatter). I almost went with Ram until I looked at the Luk pro gold sets. The M5R2 tanny is also used in the earlier ford trucks, and apparently, the f150 clutch set will fit the 89-93 SC's are . The pro gold advertises more clamp load than stock and the slave cylinder, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and allignment tool is included for under 300 dollars including shipping...and since Luk is what all of the stock SC's came with, it seemed to me like a good deal.

I will let you know how it turns out

SuperCoupe007
08-25-2004, 01:11 AM
wezar:: I'll give them a call tomorrow. When i first bought the Center Force, i asked them and they told me that it is designed to last about 50K miles, and it only lasted 25K miles. So i dunno :( Actually, i baby my SC, I don't run it hard, nor do i rev over 4K rpm. Most of my driving is soft highway miles.. but if someone has any experience info they can share that would be greatly appreciated..
thanks guys.

68COUGAR
08-25-2004, 03:02 AM
I would call Spec tech support with that question. I imagine its subjective. If you run it hard and are in stop and go driving often it won't last as long.
At least you said one correct thing! That was call SPEC. Every thing else you said is TOTAL Speculative CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So says the guy who drives a Stage III in traffic all the time!

Come back & talk when you can speak from KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

fivaxis
08-25-2004, 03:11 AM
LUK is OEM equipment and should last well over 100k miles. If your car is stock or lightly modded then the LUK is fine. If you have an 89-93 car buy a 94 clutch because it's slightly bigger.

I paid a little under $300 for the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and slave cylinder. www.dialaclutch.com

SuperCoupe007
08-25-2004, 04:23 AM
mine is a 90, so i could put the clutch from a 94 SC without any problems ??????? :confused: :confused: :confused: what are the pros/cons if any ???? i am interested to know more..
thanks guys..

68COUGAR
08-25-2004, 05:23 AM
mine is a 90, so i could put the clutch from a 94 SC without any problems ??????? :confused: :confused: :confused: what are the pros/cons if any ???? i am interested to know more..
thanks guys..
GAWD!!! Just buy what ever the Parts Gerbil gives you! You'll have 100K mi. to figure out what you shoulda bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to the Gerbil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

joshbea6
08-25-2004, 08:09 AM
68, I don't think that the title of this thread was to flame everyone that has an oppinion. He simply asked what he should buy. That leaves the floor open for people to voice their opinion on the CLUTCH.

As for wearing a clutch out, Stop and Go traffic will make the clutch wear faster. It is a simple matter of Physics, the more that you use something (ie. pushing in and then re-engaging the clutch in stop and go traffic) the faster it will wear, and thus shorten the lifespan of the clutch. If you repeatedly use the clutch for high rev shifting, or speed shifting, this will also cause the clutch to wear faster as the rotational parts of the clutch are spinning faster, therefore causing the frictional material to rub around the clutch more, also stressing the internal parts more, and thus also shortening the life of the clutch.

The starter of the thread wanted to know what people recommended, so the only way that can occur is from what people have experienced by the use of different manufacturers. Any good manufacturer will tell you what their warranty is, but they will also tell you that it is subject to inspection as to wether or not they will hold it up or not. Tire manufacturers are notorious for this. If it looks to them that you have been doing constant burnouts on the tires, then they are not going to keep to the warranty of a 70,000 mile tire that you have turned into a 50 mile drag radial.

If you have an opinion on who to recommend for a clutch based on your experience, then by all means share it. Please don't flame the other posters that are recommending things based on their personal experience. That is what this post was offering to start with. :D

wezar
08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
At least you said one correct thing! That was call SPEC. Every thing else you said is TOTAL Speculative CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So says the guy who drives a Stage III in traffic all the time!

Come back & talk when you can speak from KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

I said it was speculative.

I have a spec stage III that I have put 14K on in a mix of stop and go and highway. Works great so far. Until it is worn out I don't know how far it will go. Do you?

Joisey Jim
08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
I replaced the original stock clutch in my '93 at 185,000m & I don't pamper my cars (some bolt on mods). I installed the larger (1/2") 1994 Luk Gold and it works just fine, except the pedal is too high. I can't see how to alter it either with a self adjusting clutch. Just make sure you replace the master cylinder as well as the slave and have the flywheel cut. I also heard that you should use shims/washers behind the flywheel, equal to the thickness of the cut. Maybe that's why my pedal is so darn high?

blue94sc
08-25-2004, 01:01 PM
I replaced the original stock clutch in my '93 at 185,000m & I don't pamper my cars (some bolt on mods). I installed the larger (1/2") 1994 Luk Gold and it works just fine,

Hey Jim.
I was looking at Dial-A-Clutch online web site and they don't list the LuK Pro Gold for the 94 SC (11-9/16" dia). They list one for the 93 (11" dia). Where did you get your 94 LuK Pro Gold clutch?
I have 145k on my original clutch and would like to replace it soon.
LMK
Thanx
Bill

XR7 Dave
08-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Results will vary on any one of these recommendations. There are also many different things that can go wrong with the operation of the clutch other than just the clutch "giving out". You success or lack thereof is tied much closer to the quality of installation and how you use (abuse) it than the clutch itself. Keep in mind that "little old ladies" are generally harder on clutches than anyone.

From my personal experience, I analyze the parts that I take out and I do not repair/replace things that are not broken. Many times I have merely replaced the disc because everything else was tip-top. Many times also I have had new parts fail on me in very short order. Since many parts fail in the first little bit of service, it stands to reason that if you replace everything at once, you have a pretty good chance of one failure or another. Kind of depressing thought, but it happens.

As for clutch recomendations, the stock clutch is fine for most applications. I never did wear out any of my stock parts in 140K of mixed highway and hard abuse conditions.

Currently I have a Centerforce clutch in my car. It was a hand-me-down from another member who had used nitrous and drag tires on it numerous times. He told me at the time it was 3 years old and he didn't trust it anymore. That was over 50K miles ago (ya Dennis I'm still running your old clutch :)). Just recently I have been flogging the car at the track with more HP and tq than I care to mention but it's enough to overpower my 9" drag slicks and it still has shown absolutely no signs of failure. I have had the clutch out twice over the years and it is wearing just fine. That is my experience. Yours will vary.

fivaxis
08-25-2004, 02:33 PM
It fits no problem, bolts right up. Only difference is the clutch is 1/2 inch bigger in diameter so you get more surface area (less slip) than stock. Mine is an 89 and I put the 94 clutch in, it works great.

thanks guys..

aviationstation
08-25-2004, 05:07 PM
While I know it's probably just me, it seems that "68KOOKGURR" has had tremendous success with his clutch. His as-yet unsubstantiated knowledge in the area of clutch usability and wear is astounding & his mastery of acceptable posting etiquette is completely unremarkable. I'd guess his ride is a splendiferous hit at the Yugo meets he attends at the local Eastern-European Bakery in his little home town. With that, I'd prefer to remand his comments to the "Toyota Pickups with AA Guns" forum found on the official Taliban website.

I've used a number of clutches over the years and have found the Centerforce units, for example, to be great. As a daily driver, though, I'd encourage you to look at whatever is at the local parts store. Unless the part was made when Carter was in office, it's likely made by two or three major manufacturers & branded by one of the sixty or so distributors. Fact is, actually the sad fact is... that most parts are made in Mexico, some in Taiwan (tooling is better) and still others in China. The bottom line is that most fall within acceptable specs. If you intend to drive like a raped ape, you'll need a slightly beefier clutch. Fact is that most of the 5 speeds in SC's are not designed like a T-5, T-56, World, Saginaw, Muncie, et al. As you likely already know, these are Mazda transmissions. That means input shafts, etc, are not beefy like we would like.

Take this with a grain of salt... but I'm happy with the OEM replacement on my car that has a few minor mods. Crisp pedal & nice hookup each time. One thing to note... most OEM replacements have a lifetime warranty available. That warranty will require that you resurface the flywheel & have a valid invoice for such work if you ever need to swap the clutch again.

Good Luck!

M Randolph
in SoCal somewhere in Kali~fornia

-95 Thunderbird SC/5-Spd (Red/Gray Lthr)
-69 GTO 400/TH-400 (Green/Gold.. yuck!)
-67 Chevelle SS 396/4-Spd (Triple Black)
-66 Nova SS 283/TH-350 (Red/Gray Tweed)
-57 Ford Fairlane 2 Dr H/T 312 SC (Red&Black/Red)

blue94sc
08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Take this with a grain of salt... but I'm happy with the OEM replacement on my car that has a few minor mods. Crisp pedal & nice hookup each time. One thing to note... most OEM replacements have a lifetime warranty available. That warranty will require that you resurface the flywheel & have a valid invoice for such work if you ever need to swap the clutch again.

Hey Guys.
I plan on opening up the exhaust, raised top, CAI, and intercooler fan as my next upgrades, would a stock clutch hold up to those mods?
I don't plan on creating too much of a monster since this is my daily driver. But I wanted to give a little upgrade in HP. The LuK brand looks good since they seem to be the OEM manufacturer. And with 140k miles on the original clutch it seems like a good dependable brand.

BTW Aviationstation, nice collection of cars.

SuperCoupeSC91
08-25-2004, 10:34 PM
If u go with a Spec clutch kit, pay the extra $$ and get the Pressure Plate lightned due to it being heavier than the stock one (someone suggested me to do this and i'm glad they did) if u got some extra funds also why not go with a spec light weight flywheel to ? also spec recommends solid rubber motor mounts, might as well do crossmember and tranny mounts also

here is a pic of my setup my brother and I installed (and I love it!! except holding in my clutch at lights (bad habbit) i gained muscle in my left calf :) those with this clutch can understand what i mean)

1. New Spec Stage III Clutch Kit
Lightned Pressure plate
six star pattern disc
2. New Spec Light weight aluminum flywheel
3. New ford slave cyclinder
4. Rebuilt 5spd from "http://www.westerntransmissioncenter.com/"
5. solid rubber motor mounts

Alex L

SuperCoupe007
08-25-2004, 11:11 PM
XR7 Dave::: When i recplaced the original clutch on the car, I took it to my friends transmission shop, and he helped me with everything. There is no doubt that everything was done right all the way, and the last two times i had to drop the tranny, he helped me. Needless to say he'll be helping me when i replace the clutch, yet again :( ... I guess i must of gotten a defective clutch, but i don't believe i will buy a center force again..

aviationstation::: I don't abuse my SC, i baby it, so i don't think i would get a beefy clutch. When i got the centerforce i got it for that reason, to have a beefier clutch, but after thinking about it, on a stock car, i don't need a beefier reason.

SuperCoupeSC91::: That is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeet clutch setup. i wouldn't mind getting a Stage III... Hhmmm i just gotta figure out how to get another 200+ of torque to make it worth while.. :p That flywheel looks like serious business....

I guess if i got a spec i would go with the Stage I, it withstand 360 of torque yet my car claims 315, so i guess i am in the safe :) ... My other option is the LUK...

bigjoe25
08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
why cant i delete?