Ok here we go. (Help needed)

Kirk Bryan

Ok here we go. (Help needed) (Throw me a frickin bone here)

Alright, those who know me, know that I don't like posting things like this 'cause I don't care to be the guy that does a lot of talking with no action, but I would be really stupid to travel down this path without talking to some of the rare experienced few that have taken this walk.

My head gaskets are going, and I always told myself that when it was that time, I would also look at doing the bottom end of the motor. So does anybody have any performance input on these topics? The more info the better.

Crank
Rods
Pistons
Cam
Heads
Roller Rockers
Block Machining

...and anything I'm forgetting.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Kirk,
What I say all the time is the best thing todo is ask your self what you want out of the car first.

I just redid my motor,and I learned the hard way that these motors seem to have a snowball effect,you replace one thing then another ,then another,your looking at I'd say real world prices 2500 and up,plus heads and other things you might have forgotten ,piston rings timing gear and tensioner, gaskets set,replace all heater hoses

Without knowing how many kms on your car, or how it has been running, or if there is a chance that coolant got into the bottom end.....I would say forget the bottom end since that is not a really big problem on our cars.

Get yourself a nice set of ported heads with bigger valves ($1500), and a nice cam ($250) to go with it. A set of felpro head gaskets ($250) and that's it. Maybe ungrade to bigger injectors while you are in there ($350)

With a good heads and cam combo you could gain anywhere from 20 - 30rwhp. Not bad for $2000....which includes solving the headgasket problem that you currently have.

I hear ya Steve. But, in addition to the heads and cam. I was also thinking of doing the rods and pistons. Also, do I stroke it?

I guess what I'm looking for is, where can I get these parts from?

Back