Help!!!

K

Kitty77

Hello there, I have a 90 T'Bird LX 3.8L. I know this is an SC forum but was hoping someone could help me.

My problem is an intermittent CE light. It first came on while highway driving, but blinked off every so often. All the fluids were good and the vehicle did not overheat-no steam etc. The temp gauge always stays close to the 'cold' indicator.

Well now the CE light is starting to come on while city driving-again no signs of overheating, but other symptoms starting to arise. After the vehicle sits for awhile it cranks awhile before turning over. Usually I will crank for 5 seconds or so-stop-then crank again and it fires right up, it seems to be taking longer to start up. While stopped at a light the engine will just die, no sputtering, coughing or other obvious signs, it just fades away, but then fires right up again when I turn the key.

I got a code 51, but like I said the temp gauge always reads close to cold even after driving on the highway. I cleared the memory-disconnect battery for 1 hour- but the code came back and since I have owned this vehicle it has never overheated.

I hope someone can give me suggestions as I am leery of taking it to a shop, as soon as they see a woman bring her car in they see dollar signs!

Can someone help the lady ... before some unscruplous mechanic helps himself to her money!

Back