Steering Wheel

hytorksc

I want to swap the steering wheel from my '92 AOD to my '92 5spd. Can anyone explain step by step how to do this and is it hard to do?

i took the center nut off, but i could not see how i could use a puller tool to get it off without bending or breaking it.

thanks-

hytorksc said:
I want to swap the steering wheel from my '92 AOD to my '92 5spd. Can anyone explain step by step how to do this and is it hard to do?

i took the center nut off, but i could not see how i could use a puller tool to get it off without bending or breaking it.

thanks-

You need a steering wheel puller or similiar puller to pull the steering wheel. It is a small two leg puller about 4" or 5" long and uses two metric bolts that screw into the two holes in the wheel. There are steering puller kits that include most of the various bolts needed for different cars. Just make sure the one you get has metric bolts included. Sorry, I don't recall the size needed for Birds. John

I know that the manual says to use a puller, but I've never needed one. I just turn the wheel clockwise till it meets resistance and then give it a sharp tug clockwise, then I do the same counter-clockwise, and it pops out (there's a spring below it).

Another good method is just to pull back on the wheel and have someone tap the center bolt with a hammer. If damaging the threads is a concern, just screw the nut back on 75% of the way and tap on it. There is nothing holding it on, it's just tight.

Back