Still testing

ThunderDave

After the weekends add ons (DIS and new plugs) my problem still persists. Checked coil pack with volt meter at (jwhit)'s house last night and put on his car, checked out good and car ran good too. I'm checking compression this morning. We have decided that it could be another head gasket problem (did them in January of this year) or a timing chain/cam position sensor problem.

No codes on CPS, so leaning more towards the other. Is it possible that with almost 210,000 miles on the motor that the chain as well as the tensioner has enough wear in it that it could be stretched and throwing the timing off, as well as the cam sensor firing the injectors in the wrong order?

The compression test will tell us more, but thought I'd try to get some feedback too. what are the chances of the CPS going bad without throwing a code? :confused:

I'll post the results of the comp. test and see where we are at then.

Thanks for all the help I've gotten so far. I'd be lost without this place.

David

results

I got the compression test done and all cylinders were between 155 and 170. I think with this test, fuel pressure test (new fuel pump and filter), coil pack test, new DIS, new plugs, wires are less than 8 months old, no other computer codes and me losing my hair, I can't think what else it could be other than a little out of time. At idle in park, it's a little rough, but I can raise idle to 1500 and it seems to smooth out and has no problem going into boost. The stock vac./boost gauge reads about 12-13 in park and 10 in gear. :eek: That can't be good. Does the timing chain sound like a possible culprit???

Thanks for any info!!!!

David

Ok, don't everybody post at once. :p Take a number and get in line. :rolleyes: Well, with the tech experience of Dave Dalke and me testing every other possible cause of my running problem, we have determined (actually, Dave did ;) )that it's the balancer. :eek: Not to worry, I got it covered. :cool:

Thanks for all the help and info I got from everybody. Several others had mentioned the balancer as a culprit and I myself thought it might be at first, but wanted to check all things before dropping that kind of $$$. The list goes on and on-David N., Paul@BTM, Jeff, Rich, Jerry and many more. I love this place. :D :D :cool:

David

hey dave after i talked to you lastnight i did some more research on timing chain ect on sc the guy you talked to is probaly right the way the motor turns all the slack in chain goes to the side with tensioner on it so it would almost be impossible for timing to move . also i brang timning light with me todaqy but it wont help you the ring on balancer tells plugs when to fire so if in fact outer irng has sliped on balancer your acutal timing willbe off but i timing light would not show it . after reveiwing all the infromation i would be 90% sure the balancer is your problem . i guess why i had i hard time faulting balancer is i have never seen this poblem before all my mustangs had dist and the balancer could not efect timng .

jwhit said:
hey dave after i talked to you lastnight i did some more research on timing chain ect on sc the guy you talked to is probaly right the way the motor turns all the slack in chain goes to the side with tensioner on it so it would almost be impossible for timing to move . also i brang timning light with me todaqy but it wont help you the ring on balancer tells plugs when to fire so if in fact outer irng has sliped on balancer your acutal timing willbe off but i timing light would not show it . after reveiwing all the infromation i would be 90% sure the balancer is your problem . i guess why i had i hard time faulting balancer is i have never seen this poblem before all my mustangs had dist and the balancer could not efect timng .

Yeah, when my balance was off by about 12 degrees, the timing still showed perfect at 10 degrees BTDC with the timing light.

Jerry

Back