DIS module?

Gregssc

Well I have done everything??? my car backfires still. I think the cylinders are still missfiring? would that be the DIS module? I need help, I've wasted so much money!!!!!

Gregg,

Yes it could be the DIS module, but if you could list the history of the problem and everything you have done so far, we could give you a better answer.

David

DIS Module

O.k. let's see if I remember?
1.Temp sensor
2.Plugs
3.Wires
4.Battery cables
5.Took apart the SuperCharger and sealed the crack in the tube, put it back together and no leak now.
6.New Transmission.
But now, o.k. let me just say something here....The first time I drove it, the car backfired and quit a lot, then after replaceing the batterycables the supercharger worked and the car flew, fast!!! then the Supercharger stoped working due to the crack in the tube, then, when I had the plugs and wires replaced (they were black and rusted) the car ran a lot worse????? I don't get that, So he looked at the manuel and made sure the wires were in the right place....and they are, so we took a plug off one by one to see if there are any cylinders not working....and there are two that arn't, how we knew was because when we too to two wires of, the car idled the same! he said that the head gaskets are damaged on those cylinders??? but I have a different theory, why did my car work fine for a couple of day's??? and there are a lot of electrical problems with the car so I'm thinking it's the DIS moduel or the computer is fried??? is that any help???
Greg.

Gregssc said:
O.k. let's see if I remember?
1.Temp sensor
2.Plugs
3.Wires
4.Battery cables
5.Took apart the SuperCharger and sealed the crack in the tube, put it back together and no leak now.
6.New Transmission.
But now, o.k. let me just say something here....The first time I drove it, the car backfired and quit a lot, then after replaceing the batterycables the supercharger worked and the car flew, fast!!! then the Supercharger stoped working due to the crack in the tube, then, when I had the plugs and wires replaced (they were black and rusted) the car ran a lot worse????? I don't get that, So he looked at the manuel and made sure the wires were in the right place....and they are, so we took a plug off one by one to see if there are any cylinders not working....and there are two that arn't, how we knew was because when we too to two wires of, the car idled the same! he said that the head gaskets are damaged on those cylinders??? but I have a different theory, why did my car work fine for a couple of day's??? and there are a lot of electrical problems with the car so I'm thinking it's the DIS moduel or the computer is fried??? is that any help???
Greg.

Greg if the first two towers of the ignition coil, to the left, are not firing, replace your DIS Module. Same thing happened to me last week, I replaced the module with one from Autozone, and the engine purrs like a kitten once again.

The DIS module is suspectable to heat. If the module overheats it will stop firing to the ignition coil. This event is picked up by the EEC and the EEC puts the car into a keep alive mode, utilizing only 4 of the 6 cylinders. Yes there is a chance that the problem could be upwind of the DIS Module, but, that is doubtful. If you took off those two spark plug wires, at the coil, and there was no difference, I am willing to bet you are experiencing the same thing I did. A melt down in the DIS.

I replaced mine and I am once again able to drop the gas and smoke the crap out of the tires. But, seeing as I am a responsible adult (old man acually), I do not do those sorts of things.........uh yeah, right.........

Good luck!

Todd H.

Last edited:
Greg - you should check to see if the 2 cylinders that were not firing are off the same coil paring. The coil pack is split into 3 pairs of cylinders. If you look in the Haynes manual, for instance, it shows you how to check the coil pack. However, if that is happening you should also be getting a 'check engine' light and need to pull the codes. If the coil pack checks out ok, then it could well be the DIS.
Hope that helps.

Gregg,

It could be the DIS module, but since you said that it ran worse after changing the plugs and wires I suspect that they were installed wrong.

The Haynes manual is wrong...take a minute and double check the position of the wires on the driver's side of the engine against this chart. The Haynes manual has plugs 4,5 & 6 shown wrong on the coil pack and two of the cylinders won't fire if wired that way.

Here is the correct plug wire layout.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

If that's not the problem, please advise which 2 cylinders weren't affected by pulling the wire.

David

DIS Moduel

Thanks for the diagram...I found that diagram on the internet earlier and went to the mechanic and told him the real order....and guess what! it ran better and didn't backfire...but the two cylinders still do not work so....someone told me that, that means the DIS have failed and the EEC took over which then the car goes in to survival mode and shuts down 2 cylinders until the DIS is replaced....does that make sense????

Last edited:
....does that make sense????

Gregg,

Not really, but I suppose if it was running bad before swapping plugs and wires, then it got worse because the wires were crossed up and now it doesn't really run any better than it did....then yes it could be the DIS, but it could also be the coilpack or the injectors or bad wires ect..ect...

When my DIS module failed it started with an occasional stall and over a period of two weeks it got so bad I could hardly get the sputtering wheezing thing to move. I've seen others that only had a miss that turned out to be the DIS, so it's really hard to say.

Did the mechanic do a compression test ?

David

Greg - are you getting a "check engine" light and have you scanned for any codes. I know the Haynes wire locations are wrong, but I used there coil testing proceedure to eliminate a bad coil pack. On 2 different SC I've had the engine felt like it was running on only 4 cylinders & I got 'coil failure' codes. The coil packs checked out ok and I ended up having to replace the DIS on both occations.

I've just been going through a similar problem. Checked everything and ended up with nothing but probable bad balancer.

I too, thought it might be the DIS after knowing the plugs and wires were good. The coil pack also tested good. Bought new DIS at autozone and it made no difference.

Make sure you check everything. Good luck!

David

Back