PDA

View Full Version : Not SC, or even ford but i really need help

thunderbird89sc
08-25-2004, 08:57 AM
My uncle asked me to tune up his car, Plugs, wires, PVC, and fuel filter.
I replaced the plugs and wires, there was not a pvc value in the car, at the time. So i put in the new one. One my way to work the next day, (my uncle is also my boss) the car kept dying, and would miss very bad, and sometimes surge. Thinking it was the fuel filter i replaced that. not the car has died in my parking lot and i have to get it out of here by Friday. I have also replaced the fuel pump, and that did not help. it will fire for about a second just enough to make me think it is going to start, it is getting spark and fuel. i would like to very much fix this thing,

It's a 1991 chevy lumina, euro with a 3.1 efI, the one with the coil pack. (Please don't hurt me for working on a chevy,)

I very much need you help.

XR7 Dave
08-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Go over everything you touched. Most likely a big vacuum leak or you go the firing order wrong. Did you gap all the plugs?

thunderbird89sc
08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
i did gap the plugs, i'll go over everything. but any other ideas would be great, could a clugged cats cause this.
Matt :confused:

thunderbird89sc
08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
i forgot to say that if i get this car fixed ill get enough money to fix my SC

Vyk
08-27-2004, 03:04 AM
I replaced the plugs and wires, there was not a pvc value in the car, at the time. So i put in the new one.Now, there's no way this should work, but: try removing the PCV valve? Assuming you got the firing order right, that the plugs were gapped correctly, and that the wires are conducting electricity like they're supposed to, the only thing you really changed was adding the PCV valve. Now, by rights, it should run like hell with no PCV valve there... On the other hand, this is a Chevy, so maybe it doesn't know how to run when all of its parts work. :D
Anyway, I would guess the problem lies with something you changed, because (for example) the cat shouldn't have randomly clogged. So as long as you're not suffering mouse-in-the-tailpipe syndrome (that actually happened to a friend of mine), going over everything you changed should solve the problem.

thunderbird89sc
08-27-2004, 04:03 AM
i think i am going to do that, i did take the pvc value out and still no go. so when i took out one of the plugs it was covered in black soot, they only have six miles on them,

XR7 Dave
08-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Wrong firing order.

kevenj90sc
08-27-2004, 09:24 AM
That's got to be it, wrong firing order. Get a book - - or sometimes the parts store can look up the firing order for you and make a copy of the picture. Also check to make sure the wires are firmly 'snapped' in place on the plugs and on the coil, and make sure they are the correct plugs (heat range, how far they extend into the cylinder, etc....) If it didn't do all this before and just needed a maintenance tune-up then It's got to be something you did.

thunderbird89sc
08-28-2004, 07:16 AM
i used a haynes manual, and if i rember right they did get the firing order for the Sc wrong, yeah i got to stop woking on cars when im tired, but working 70 hours a week, its hard not to be tired. well ill take a look to night when i get home, another thing is i shouldnt work on cars at night, but working from 6pm-3 or 5 am, and having to sleep all day. (i need a new job)

thanks,
Matt