May have found reason for increased oil consumption

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Ever since removing the engine to repair damage from a broken lifter retainer this spring (new cam, lifter, retainers, oil pump, timing cover and dampener) I've noticed that the car is using alot more oil and is even leaking a little on the front and rear main seals.

Most of the oil has been going into the intake from the PCV valve, and even with the oil seperator I installed, I'm still getting enough in the intake to have oil drip from the IC tubes when I remove them to work on the car.

When under the car last night installing new o2 sensors, I noticed that the dipstick tube isn't seated into the block properly. It lacks between 3/4" and 1" of being all the way in. So I've been over filling the oil by whatever amount that equals on the dipstick. I'm guessing somewhere between 1-1/2 and 2 quarts.

I'm not a 100% that reducing the oil level will fix the problem, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

David

Murphy's law

allways something with you MR murphy ...breaking this and that...LOL
may want to try and install ... some vent filters on the rocker covers to release some of the crank pressure ..had simlar problem on a race car ...though turning constant left would pump the oil up through the rockers and blow the pvc valve right out of the socket... even though it was on the right hand bank...a pair of vents on the left bank fixed it .....dave

MercsSC said:
allways something with you MR murphy ...breaking this and that...LOL
may want to try and install ... some vent filters on the rocker covers to release some of the crank pressure ..had simlar problem on a race car ...though turning constant left would pump the oil up through the rockers and blow the pvc valve right out of the socket... even though it was on the right hand bank...a pair of vents on the left bank fixed it .....dave

It's Not my fault!!!! Why does every one blame me???

Back