PDA

View Full Version : still leaking from the freaking filter...

darkstar_one
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
hey, i have this problem werre my freaking filter no matter how tight it is. I have checked to see if there is a old seal is on and nothing, its clean, it runs straight down the filter, nice thick line. anyone? can there be some warpage? i always dip the seal in oil first, it has done this for the longest, ever since i started to do the oil changes it does this, am i not screwing it in right? whats the procedure for tightening it? just tightening till it spins no more? or what? i dont understand the lil pictures on the filter, thanx

68COUGAR
08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Did you put some of the old oil on the gasket before you put the new filter on? If you don't, the gasket will leak.

68COUGAR

vivisex666
08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Did you put some of the old oil on the gasket before you put the new filter on? If you don't, the gasket will leak.

68COUGAR

the old oil? i always use the new oil, as well as fill the filter 3/4.

1HUMINBIRD
08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem, and I am a little embarassed to admit it :rolleyes: I should have found this when I bought the car brand new, as I always change my own oil, etc. Anyway, when you remove your old filter, carefully and slowly run your finger around the raised portion that contacts the filter gasket. Mine is warped in two places and if I would have found it when the car was new (within warranty), I could have got it replaced. :confused:

You may have the same problem. I compensate for it by taking an old filter gasket and slicing it to about 1/2 of its thickness and seating it UNDER the new gasket on the filter. Where the two gaskets meet is deep in that gasket race so now it does not leak.

If this is your problem, once you make a new 1/2 thickness gasket, you can reuse it from oil change to oil change. And if you do have the same warpage, I hope this helps.

edspringer
08-25-2004, 06:19 PM
it is the oil cooler assembly between the block and the oil filter housing that is leaking. I had the same problem. I would have posted this earlier but I forgot my stupid password. You need to go to a Ford dealer and get the gaskets for the oil cooler assembly. I believe it is 2 gaskets. You need to remove the oil filter and the nipple that the oil filter screws on to. The oil cooler assembly will fall down. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! be sure you get all of the old oil cooler gasket material off the cooler and block. Believe me it has been ther a while. Put the new gaskets in, center the oil cooler and tighten the oil filter nipple that holds the oil cooler to the block to 40-50 LB-FT. Fill a new filter 3/4 full of oil and screw on. You should have no leaks.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 142,740 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger Upgrade, 36# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under drive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Rear Spring Air Bags, Ripper Shifter, 73 C&L MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

94 Red SC Auto: 93,660 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, 38# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under drive Pulleys, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 73 C&L MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, ProTorque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, American Racing 17 Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, dynode 235 RWHP at 315 LB-FT. Torque.

darkstar_one
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
thanks buddy, will do. what if there is some warpage? can i pop in a oil cooler crap from a NA 3.8??

Joisey Jim
08-26-2004, 01:46 PM
If I remember correctly when that happened years ago on my '93, Ford wanted about $20 for that stupid gasket; so I used an old oil filter gasket instead. You might also try tightening the threaded coupler first (what the filter screws on to & secures the cooler in place), as they will eventually come loose from numerous oil changes, especially if you overtighten. Tightening that kept mine oil free for about another 2 years, but eventually I replaced the gasket.

darkstar_one
08-26-2004, 01:59 PM
hmm what size is that big nut? it is the big nut there when u remove the oil filter right? but anywho can it be replaced with one from a NA bird

Joisey Jim
08-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Yes it's that big nut alright. It's actually a double threaded coupler that holds the oil cooler to the stock filter housing (on one end) & the oil filter on the other. Can't remember what size, but it must be around 25-30mm. If the 3.8 N/A bird came with an oil cooler then I'd guess it would swap over.

edspringer
08-26-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't believe the gasket(s) were that much and I don't know if they were paper or rubber. Thats a lot of heat over time that those gaskets have to endure. If I remember, mine were cracked when I removed them. Jim is right. I would suggest you re-torque the oil filter nipple to 40-50 LB-FT and see if it stops leaking before you change the gaskets. Good luck!!

Ed Springer

ss_scuba
08-26-2004, 05:22 PM
FYI, the gasket that goes between the oil cooler and the oil pump is the exact same thing that comes on an oil filter from Ford. I don't know about other companies gaskets but I would assume they would work. Go buy an extra oil filter, pull the gasket out (it's only held in by a friction) and use that instead of paying $20 or so for a gasket.

darkstar_one
08-26-2004, 09:19 PM
thanx scuba, will do, but first i will retorque my nipples :D

J.D.
08-26-2004, 11:24 PM
As far as I know, the 3.8 N/A doesn't have an oil cooler. You could possibly find one on a Lincoln Continental.

CaifanSC
08-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah...it sux. Its a messy job. I was supposed to do an easy oil change yesterday on my 94 and it turned into a nightmare when the oil filter came out with the whole freaking cooler. And i couldnt uncrew the filter off of the cooler assembly so I had to get the whole cooler out...meaning disconencting the coolant lines (flushing the system). Arggg. I didnt change the gasket on the cooler...so i hope it doesnt start leaking. Just make sure you tighten that nut holding the cooler in place so that it doesnt come out every time you do an oil change.

darkstar_one
08-29-2004, 01:39 PM
so, i tightened that big ole nut, it stopped my leak, so im guessing that was it, now it doesnt leak anymore, thanx dudes, oh yeah by the way, the size of the nut is 1-1/16" it was pretty loose, thanx dudes

89cougar
09-06-2004, 11:50 AM
are you sure that the upper gasket is the problem, I've been working on this problem for a week or so on my ride for a couple of weeks, we changed the filter twice before noticing the last time I had the filter off I saw the surface where the filter gasket seals against is all warped and uneven. No wonder it leaks! Is there a place to get this part or an aftermarket part???

darkstar_one
09-06-2004, 12:59 PM
im still noticing a leak but not from the filter anymore, when it was from the filter u can see it dripping from the sides of the filter, now its all over the oil pan, i know for sure my transmission leaks from the torque converter, but like a 2 - 3 drips a day. so ima see whats up

89cougar
09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Hmm, the only other leaks I have are the rear seal of the tranny and a small seepage from a valve cover gasket.

Has anyone tried to fix a warped oil cooler?? it looks like I can slip a large flat screwdriver under the collapsed area and pry it back into place???