starting mods soon. is it ok?

92redsc

i will be starting mods on my SC after the first oil change at 3000 miles. i will be puting in some synthetic and then these mods. 1 exhaust 2. cool air (3.5) 3. 5% overdrive 4. raised SC top from MP. im thinking a 50 HP boost and in the 14s, is that about right?

I wouldn't say you'll gain 50HP, but you may see 14's. I'm not sure how the 5 speeds run compared to the auto's. I ran a 14.85 with exhaust, 94/95 blower, cool air intake, and 5% OD pulley. Although, I've got a little bit of weight difference in my 'Bird compared to a stock SC. What are you planning to do for exhaust?

-Andy "Melon"

Skip the raised top and get something else. For $300+ you can do much better. Make sure your exhaust system is real good, try to get good pipes for the whole system, probably ported manifolds too. The intake isn't going to give you much performance either, just more blower noise.

With about $1000 (about what you'd spend on what you listed) I'd do this:

Full exhaust ~500-700
94/95 or some kind of ported supercharger ~300-800
(You'll need the matching plenum for a late model or MPII sc)
Maybe overdrive the blower if your boost is lowish
SCT chip if you wanna spend a little more 325
(chip is best when you don't plan more mods soon so you don't need it reburned)

At worst that should get you into high 14s, and at best most likely lower 14s.

Unless you plan on doing some big mods in a short time, just replace the downtubes, cats, and resonator. Do the K&N first as well. Get a B&M short throw shifter asap, you will love it. Won't be a 50HP increase, but it you can drive right, and you motor isn't beat, you should be able to muster out mid to high 14's consistently.

total spending money is 1300. any more suggestions? i will get the shifter if i have some left over. i was thinking that the exhaust (SCP 3 inch setup with gutted cats) 5% overdrive, intake, and top might no be a bad idea for starters. then that shifter and i think i will be at my goal. but im still open for suggestions. my ultimate plan is a autorotor next summer so that why i want my exhaust good.do you think my boost will back right around 12 pounds after all of this?

If your planning on AR, then a good open exhaust is a plus - along with the intake. Both can help you now. I believe the OD pulley will help you get back the few pounds of boost that you will loose from the exhaust. I suggest looking into building a system on your own - buying the cats, resonator, mufflers, tips, and having an exhaust shop build a system for you. Or atleast price it if your on a limited budget.

I can't vouch for the short throw shifter since I don't have one.. Mainly because my 'Bird is an auto :D

-Andy "Melon"

Back