Rebuilt ABS unit failed

Rich Thomson

Had my OEM ABS Teves IV Unit rebuilt and after many hours connecting lines and purging the brakes I find it leaks :mad:

I am calling the (company name witheld) reman company tomorrow. All I can say is I am really Pissed Off :mad: :mad: :mad:

abs-leak.JPG

Update

Spoke to SIA Electronics today and they do not have another ABS unit to ship me. I have to pull the ABS unit and ship it back to them for their failure :mad:

This will set me back another 1-2 weeks with shipping and repair before I can reinstall it back into the car. I will tell you the ABS unit worked before I shipped it off to SIA. Just wanted a rebuild to make sure it lasted another 100k.

THIS IS **** :eek:

I have 5 hours into the brake system rebuild only to piss it away because of this!

To confirm for all you who read this I am really really pissed off!

When you sent it to them, did you discuss with someone there the reason why you were sending it? I.E. I want this not just reman, but re-manufactured. Even if the part doesn't look bad, I want a new one installed.

I'm curious if they were willing to take some extra care for you. I've thought about getting things rebuilt as preventative maintenance but I've always feared that if they don't find anything failed all I'll get is a repainted part that, at best, has just been cleaned.

It sucks when stuff like that happens. Though you're probably more pissed than I was when I found I didn't get the extra hashbrown I paid for in my breakfast combo from McDonalds. ;)

Sorry for you Rich. These Teves ABS Units suck! I got mine working after every part imaginable went bad in mine, and parts from NJ, TX and everywhere else. Now they work good. Pulling them in and out is a pain, but I got good at it after 3 or 4 times removing them. Not to mention not having my Bird for two or three weeks last summer. :(
Good luck with it.

I tried to get them to drop ship another unit to me and I would send them mine back but they said they did not have any units in stock :confused: :confused: How do you reman ABS units and not have a few prebuilt units on hand to use as replacements?

They told me the same thing last October. :(

Rich Thomson said:
I tried to get them to drop ship another unit to me and I would send them mine back but they said they did not have any units in stock :confused: :confused: How do you reman ABS units and not have a few prebuilt units on hand to use as replacements?

They told me the same thing last October. :(

Call a salvage yard and get another one. I think you would be better off with a original Ford unit than any reman. I have had very poor luck with almost anything reman.

Jerry

You could get rid of the clunky Tieves unit if you want. The 85 Mustang GT master cylinder and powerbrake booster will bolt on. ;)

Bleed_Ford_Blue said:
ive got a good one right here, 90 sc part if itll help

Dan, i believe 89-92 units are teves-ii,
93-up are teves-iv, and they're notably dissimilar.

Rich, i have a 94 SC master cyl /ABS if you need.

SCWard4 "at" juno.com

MIKE 38sc said:
You could get rid of the clunky Tieves unit if you want. The 85 Mustang GT master cylinder and powerbrake booster will bolt on. ;)
im intrested in what u said. so a 85 gt brake setup will bolt to the tbird w/ no problems and work?

Are you sure?

MIKE 38sc said:

Are you sure of this?

Yes but you will have to run NEW metal brake lines to each wheel because routing of the fluid from the mastercylinder is different. You must bend the new lines and be able to double flair each end, so if you dont know what I mean here you're not up to the job. You need to do alittle research into braking systems first.

Abs

MIKE 38sc said:
Yes but you will have to run NEW metal brake lines to each wheel because routing of the fluid from the mastercylinder is different. You must bend the new lines and be able to double flair each end, so if you dont know what I mean here you're not up to the job. You need to do alittle research into braking systems first.

Would a dealership so it? How about a good local shop? Will they shy away or is it a reasonable request?

cambaird said:
Would a dealership so it? How about a good local shop? Will they shy away or is it a reasonable request?

They will run screaming from you because of liability issues. Best thing for you to do is research the std brake lines for a Tbird and copy them then use the GT booster and mastercylinder. But you MUST first learn how brake systems work and learn HOW to do the work needed before you EVER ATTEMPT this. Brakes are not something to mess with if YOU do not FULLY know what you're doing. Running and routeing the lines is not the hard part, you MUST know how to make a double flair on the tube ends and have the CORRECT flairing tool to do it. Failure to do that will result in horrrible or NO BRAKES at all.

It looks like it's leaking around the gasket plate between the pump and valve body. You can get one from Ford for ~10$ and fix it youself.

2nd ABS Unit has failed!

So in October I got another rebuilt ABS unit for my 94 SC and Yesterday the ABS light comes on and the code is 63 which is Pump Motor not runing. I connected my Teves ABS bleeder which connects to the ABS wiring harness and acitvates the pump then solinoid to allow for bleeding of the ABS unit after servicing. I got the unit to operated once then tried it 5 more times to get the pump motor to operate, Nothing the pump motor is fried. This sucks! The unit was rebuilt by SIA Electronics and I will be calling them on Monday.

That has to completely bite. Please let us know how they are in dealing with these failures. I suppose you can have multiple equipment problems, but it would be worse if they are pains about it.

Thats sad Rich! I see SIA is still at it. They really ripped me a new one 3 years ago and it looks like there doing no better now. Take some advice from someone thats been there and done that, DO NOT take anything apart on that unit as has been suggested in an attempt to fix it yourself. Once you do that they will refuse to give you your money back if thats what you decide you'd like to do. But on the otherhand you are probably trapped into the remove and reinstall the replacement they send you game until they can get you one that lasts long enough to get out of warranty. Glad I've ditched the ABS and will never have to deal with that piece of junk again.

yep, im upset too.... what was supposed to take a couple of hours is now taking weeks... after seeing how my ABS PUMP MOTOR doesnt and so on, i bought a new ACCUMULATOR from PRIOR and a new pressure switch from GM and no i cant get the accumulator to pressurize with the ABS pump motor i bought, so, i bit the bullet and bought a ABS unit from BLEED FORD BLUE, cant wait to get it, also, the damn rain is really delaying my installation, its gonna rain for the next 2 weeks, i think, i think i can do other stuff to the car while the ABS unit comes, i have a LEAK on the rack and pinion from the driver side tie rod. Oh well, this bird is worth every penny....

Back