PDA

View Full Version : still miss driving my SC...

Shooter_Jay
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Ok it runs but not perfect so I've been driving my truck all summer. So anyway I noticed my egr pipe was split a while back and finally got around to sealing it up with high temp rtv which has held for the ten minutes or so I've run it since, but still gets the lean right code 172. So anyway I think I want to finally spring for an oxygen sensor. Only thing is, since I had joe fixitwrong do my cats and downtubes, I think he might have repositioned one of the oxygen sensors because the two sensors are different looking, and one has a longer wire than the other. If my memory serves me right, there weren't separate part numbers from left to right hego sensors and the short one won't reach on the long side, so I wonder if the WRONG oxygen sensor has been causing my problem all this time? Problem is I hate to spring for the hego if the wire isn't going to be long enough. ~~~...any suggestions? By the way I'm saving for a down payment on a house in the spring so try to keep the suggestions cheap!!! ;-)

thunderbird89sc
08-27-2004, 03:19 AM
if i remeber right one of the o2 sensors is farther down the exuast then the other i believe it is the drivers side, i know the pass side is right by the starter. i hope this helps you out, i'll look tomorrow or this weekend to make sure, good luck

MAtt

darkstar_one
08-27-2004, 01:04 PM
the drivers side O2 sensor is located on the exhaust manifold, on the passenger side it is located about an inch or 2 blow the flange that connects to the exhaust manifold.

Shooter_Jay
08-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Oops I forgot to mention I know that the driver side hegos is up in the manifold, and the passenger side hego is further down in the down-tube. Are the sensor's lead wires the same length still though? Aren't they the same part number so same length? Mine are different length and slightly different style so I'm thinking he moved it even further down the down tube and put whatever hegos he had laying around his shop with a long enough lead. I need this info because I don't want to buy a new one if it wont reach because of non-stock location. That's my issue. Thanks again

darkstar_one
08-28-2004, 07:42 PM
well heres what happened to my O2 sensors, my freaking dog chewed them up, and some of the wires were messed up, so i got the connector from a old O2 sensor and hooked it up and just taped the connections together and put some heat shield crap similar to aluminum foil around it and presto blamo, u can just get regular cables same gauge though and make ur own extension. and put some heat shield crap around it. ima ask my dad what he used and let u know

J.D.
08-28-2004, 07:52 PM
well heres what happened to my O2 sensors, my freaking dog chewed them up,

He must have been trying to lick off the antifreeze from your blown headgaskets :D :D

Shooter_Jay
08-28-2004, 08:08 PM
He must have been trying to lick off the antifreeze from your blown headgaskets :D :D

lol

That makes sense. code 172 I have is lean right side and it's the passenger or right side o2 sensor that is longer so probably good odds it's at least contributing to my running issues. I'll have to pry my wallet open and spring for a new sensor now I guess...if it does the trick I wont mind buying it.
I'll have to buy it and splice an extension and tape in few layers of aluminum foil, that should shield it enough right?

Shooter_Jay
08-28-2004, 08:10 PM
any brand o2 sensor I should or shouldn't buy?