$600 to spend, but on what?

Grims95SC

I'm trying to figgure out how to spend this on my SC. :confused: I still have 2.5'' high flow cats and Eibach 1.5'' lowering springs to put in. Here are a few of the ideas I came up with? What do ya guys think of these or do you have any different suggestions?

Roller rockers
BBK 70mm TB
J-Mod shift kit
Art Carr 12" Heavy Duty Lockup Street Converter
Raised supercharger top
MP high flow intake plenum

THANKS!! :D

I wouldn't bother with any of the motor stuff right now. The rockers aren't going to give you anything you can feel and the conclusion is the raised top is not a very big difference either.

I loved the J-Mod trans stuff and you will feel like you actually did something to your car.
The converter is also a wise choice as it makes a heavy car feel so much lighter . Just dont go too high on the stall speed.

After the trans the MP inlet with a S/C port job and 70mm t-body are good mods.

Raised top = expensive waste of money, If you have the intane changed do the exhaust, Or in order intake exhaust, and then 5 or 10% pulley. Maybe to start a 5% would be better. Start with the basics.

Preventative Maintanance

When is the last time you replaced your head gaskets?

If you havent then this is a good time to tear down into the heads and get to know your engine. While your down that far put in a cam for about $115.00

If your up to it remove the henderece in the exhaust ports with a dremel.
Port match the intakeports and intake manifold to the gaskets.
How good and how much research you do will depend on how much better the heads will perform. Just dont go in with a blindfold and start removing metal.

Worry about volumetric effiency in the heads and intake first.
Then when you bolt on the expensive stuff youll be more saticfied with the results.

Personally i think that the price to HP gain ratio is redicoulous for most of the out of the box boltons. Thats why i start with the internals first. Makes you feel like you got more bang for the buck out of the bolt ons later.

Now is the time to go to 3.73 rear gears. realy makes a differance.
Hands down best bang for your buck. The J mod is a cheap mod under $100

$600 bucks huh......if you're not totally sure what to do with it....you can give it to me, and I can tell you your car is already fast. Would that work? ;) :p

Well, the new Dynatech metal matrix hi flo cats gave me 24 xtra hp to play with, but thats with a little diddling on the dyno to take advantage of the drop in head temp they gave me...Another option is the Snow chemical injection basic kit, which should be good for 10-15 %, once everything is dialed on the dyno... Either could be brought in for about 600 presidents...I'll go the Snow route in a month or so myself...

Sc Mods

Id go with a double Intercooler with a fan
I saw a nice imporvement when I wount to a double I/C with the fan

You could prob get a double I/C with fan and a TB for around 600

Changing the gears in the rear also make a nice improvement

Are you OD your blower?

So...

Ok so no raised top. I had worried about clearance. One of the guys in my club got a small dent in his hood thanks to one.
Strokedsc, my car has 141000km's on it. Think that's like 85000 miles. My headgaskets should be ok. The previous owner was an accountant. I had a few meetings with the guy before I bought it and I don't think he knows what boost is.
Porting the heads and exhaust manfolds is a good idea but I simply do not have the skill. But that is a damn good idea tho.
fast92sc, sorry but you're not getting my $ :p It is getting fast but I'd like it to get a bit faster still. Hence the reason I've set a spending cap. Damn, I'm starting to sound like an NHL owner! :eek:
Sounds like gears and a j-mod are popular choices. I'd have to change the gears in my speedo if I do the gears obviously. The only sucky thing about gears is the top speed I'd lose on the highways.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I may easily be) but isn't a double IC only good for really long periods of high boost when the engine gets cooking hot? I'm looking for something that would be effective all the time.

You can get a Perma cool 8" 800cfm intercooler fan for pretty cheap and I heard it does make a difference. I just did my gears and I put in 3:73's and it is a very big difference off the line. The car pulls way harder. Be very careful when doing the gears...what was supposed to cost me around $750 actually turned into $1100. Tons of cash and alot of headaches with the shop that did them. But, a very good mod none the less. There is only about a 300 rpm difference on the highway. Not all that bad.

Last edited:
SCaddict said:
You can get a Perma cool 8" 800cfm intercooler fan for pretty cheap and I heard it does make a difference. I just did my gears and I put in 3:73's and it is a very big difference off the line. The car pulls way harder. Be very careful when doing the gears...what was supposed to cost me around $750 actually turned into $1100. Tons of cash and alot of headaches with the shop that did them. But, a very good mod none the less. There is only about a 300 rpm difference on the highway. Not all that bad.
evo viii ic from ebay 200 bucks +100 from installation
magnaflow resoantor 100+50 instalation
5% pulley 60 bucks
j mod. 100 bucks
that should give you some pretty good pwoer MPG and reliability.

I have quite a bit done to my car and it still just woudnt really turn a decent time. I pulled the a/c condenser oof, the air quit working. Put on a ic fan, on drag radials. went from 13.958 to 13.30 I know that if you want to keep the air you can buy a shorter condensor. I would bet that a doudle intercooler would bring the time down more. Drag radials on sale at tire rack for $112 each fan around. $60 Shorter a/c condersor about 150. That leaves you enough for an aluminum jack shaft pulley. Its supposed to be good for 15 hp. by itself. There are quite a few guys building double intercoolers too. Shop around and you can pick one up for a low price.

$600..to spend

Looks like you have most of the bolt on mods done already.. Other then the
IC fan, but that's only $95.00 I would definately put in the 3:73 gears.
I think you'll have the most fun! Cuz the mods you have done so far have
already moved the power band up. With the gear.. you'll get the rpm
up faster with more HP. Your off the line would pull much harder and
You'll chirp the tires way easier. ..Let see the gears are $190 from SCP
to get it installed.. IWE in Burnaby B.C. wants $450-$500 can. Approx.
$330us ...total of $520 +shipping & tax ..pretty close to $600. :)

BTW: Do you have a shift kit or outboard tranny cooler?

Last edited:
Do the J mod and the converter, then start saving up for an AR blower.

With the wide ratio gears in your tranny, 3.73s are going to be like 4.56s in an AOD. If you still have the stock rear end without traction lock, your also going to be doing the "one wheel peel" alot.

David

Re: ...

David Neibert said:
Do the J mod and the converter, then start saving up for an AR blower.

With the wide ratio gears in your tranny, 3.73s are going to be like 4.56s in an AOD. If you still have the stock rear end without traction lock, your also going to be doing the "one wheel peel" alot.

David

Oh yea... Forgot about the 94-95s don't have traction lock rear ends.
In that case.. The total mod. would be over $600. ..Doing up the
tranny is probably the next best thing then.. Cuz one wheel peel would
suck!!

Last edited:
I know I need new tires. I have ****** 225/60 16's and they're touring tires. Granted they have a nice ride and are quiet, they didn't supply the traction I need when it was stock and sure doesn't now if I chose to floor it. But when I do tires, I'm going to go big, Goodyear GS F1-D3 so that's a long way off. The stock traction control does help reduce wheelspin, I'm assuming from what you guys are saying it won't be enough?
Since the power has been moved up, what's a good mod to get the low end back?

Ok first off the traction assist will apply the brakes to the rear wheel that spins. This is really bad for a perfomance standpoint. Turn that thing off each time you get in that thing or you will need some new brakes, calipers and rotors. Get yourself a rear end with trac loc. Tell you what I have one with a rebuild kit for sale for $150 shipped. you just need gears and someone to install them. I sold my SC because it was to the point of needing the motor torn down to do any more mods. That and the price killed me plus the old lady wanted a new car. Go to www.aptenperformance.com and check out their list of what mods to do or listen to David Neibert as he has done more mods than anyone I know. Im getting out of SC`s but I have enjoyed working on them as well as driving them. Now to find a car that stacks up to the ol mighty SC. :)

Back