Hydraulic Clutch hose problem

livn

I just finished pulling out my master clutch cylinder and the hydraulic hose and the haudralic fitting at the slave end of the hose has a bit of wear and the inner plastic piece is falling apart. Im scared that if i dont replace the hose the plastic will keep deteriorating and clog up the system with plastic particles.
My question is would it be a dumb idea to still use it in the condition that it is in, or would i be much better off to replace it even with the $140 Cdn. price tag. Heres a few pics, suggestions will be nice.

Attachments

• hyd.jpg
    hyd.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 123
  • hyd2.jpg
    hyd2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 99
  • hyd3.jpg
    hyd3.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 130
Exactly what I am thinking of doing, :) but I guess you've got no replies. I read an earlier post of yours where you said the slave side is easy to take out, I've noted that one. How difficult as the clutch master removal? Seems like its a tight fit under the dash AND in the engine compartment, I was looking today. I want to replace mine because of my hard shifting problem, feels as if it just doesn't disengage enough while shifting. Already have a new clutch and had it bled but no improvement. I notice its hard to shift when the car heats up not to mention the 286k I have on the car with the same clutch master cylinder. So, I am contemplating the replacement.
You doing for the same reason?

I replaced my master cylinder because of the shifting nightmare i have, my clutch doesnt diesengage. It helped, but still not 100%

The master cylinder is really quite easy to remove, takes about half hour
First, remove the pushrod form the clutch pedal. (i found it easiest to remove the lower steering column trim and reinforcement to get at the pushrod, but dont have to)
Raise the vehicle and disconnect the hyd. hose at the slave.
Remove the resevoir from the shock tower (to ease things, i soaked up all the old fluid with a rag and detached the resevoir from the hose)
twist the master cylinder 45° counter clkwse and pull to front of car
work hyd. hose upward from bottom of car, and work upward from top while pulling master out of engine compartment

Hope this helps.

livn::: I finally got a chance to remove my clutch master cylinder. It looks in good condition, no leaks, and the plastic pieces aren't broken... :confused: my friends still thinks that my pressure plate is whats wrong. But since the master cylinder is out, might as well replace it with a new one, or a rebuild one; depends on the price, but i'll keep u posted..... Lets hope for the best... :)

P.S. If anybody has an extra one, please contact me.
Thanks...

Last edited:
Couple of things

If the fittings are a standard fitting, couldn't you have a braided steel cable made?

XR7Dave is the guy to talk to about the shifting problem. The shifting problem sounds like mine. My throw out bearing is about 1/4" back from the clutch fingers. It should be very close (or touching, XR7Dave??????). It takes 1/2 my clutch pedal travel, just to get the throw out bearing up to the clutch fingers. Then the rest of the travel to (barely) disengage the clutch. Then the tranny hangs in neutral for 2-3 seconds while the blockers do their job.

68COUGAR

I am having troubles removing the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder. I have the SNAP-ON tool but pushing on the black collar doesn't do anything. Anyone have pics and instructions on how to remove?

Thanks.

Back