PDA

View Full Version : M112 Cobra blown V6 SC motor coming *PICS*

V6Sprout
08-26-2004, 11:09 PM
OK, I worked part of today testing out how this blower is going to mount, its going to be a piece of cake except one major problem, the FUEL INJECTORS!!!!!! Damn, it shoudl still work but its gonna be tight, I have to cut some of the mounting holes from the blower case cause they are in the way of the injectors, physically there is enough room for the injectors but the fuel rail hits the blower case as I figured, so a custom rail is definately needed, that I will work on later. The good news is I can get the setup to work with ONE belt, using the mustang brackets, for more belt wrap a second idler pulley is needed but as you can see in the pics that will not be a problem, already figured that out. I can even get the stock blower shroud to work, not sure if I'll use it but woudl be cool. Imagine someone looking under my hood and seeing the blower and shroud, they would think, "WOW an 03 Cobra motor in a 94 stang, cool, hey wait, those valve covers are not DOHC covers, wait thats a V6!!!!!!!! :eek: " Anyways here are the pics of the mocked up setup so far.

comparison shot of the stock blower and 03 blower, I added the inlets on the stock blower for better reference of actual length, its a few inches longer. The cool thing is the blower sits only 2 inches taller then the stock SC blower body, but add the blower top and the cobra blower sits the SAME HEIGHT, only difference in height is the snout sits 2 inches higher, but as for the main body section its the same due to no blower top now.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/comp2.jpg

here is a shot of the stock blower alone vs the 03 blower, man it looks small. The 03 blower is DAMN heavy too, makes the stock SC blower feel like a feather, literally.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/comp1.jpg

here is a front shot of the blower sitting on the motor with mustang brakets. You can see the extra idler I have next to the AC compressor, its just a pulley sitting on a threaded rod but you get the idea. The belt is too short but it woudl also wrap around the alternator and PS pulley and crank shaft of course, but in the pic it doesn't.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/front.jpg

here is the same shot with the blower shroud, kinda cool.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/frontcov.jpg

and a top view, looks way too damn clean, I can remove both valve covers without removing anything else. It looks cleaner in this shot cause there is no injectors or wiring harness but still gonna look pretty cool when done.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/top.jpg

Kurt K
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Looks good, but I have to question this statement:
here is the same shot with the blower shroud, kinda cool. I have to disagree. If I ever bought a Cobra, that would be the first thing I removed. Keep up the good work :)

XR7 Dave
08-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Looking good Jamie!

V6Sprout
08-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Looks good, but I have to question this statement: I have to disagree. If I ever bought a Cobra, that would be the first thing I removed. Keep up the good work :)

I agree, I woudl remove it as well if I had a cobra, but what I meant was the Cobra comes with it so at first glance with the shroud on it looks like a Cobra motor, until you realise the small valve covers and lack of size inthe motor. haha I most likely will not run with the shroud on but will make it fit just in case.

supercatxr7
08-27-2004, 10:20 PM
And keep us posted on your progress as well as pics.

V6Sprout
08-27-2004, 11:09 PM
will do for sure, I am hoping to get my lower intake laser cut tomorrow by my uncle if he has time, I am going to first cut the top center section out and try and get the blower mounted, progress will be slow as I will only get work done when my uncle has time to weld it up but I will work at it as best I can, I relaly need to get a welder and learn how to weld aluminum. hahaha

XxSlowpokexX
08-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Id liek to see how the one belt setup works...Keep in mind it will put more stress on your crank as opposed to running a jackshaft tyoe setup

Ryan A Harris
08-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Jamie, man thats cool. If you need it, I can lean you a hand during this project. I'm very interested to see this work for us SC guys.

Damon can you explain a little more by the extra stress this set up would cause. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by that.

XxSlowpokexX
08-29-2004, 04:16 PM
The blower will now be running off the crank directly. Longevity is why they originally went with a jackshaft type setup. It basically isolates the blower operation.

V6Sprout
08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I wal always under the impression that the 3 belts is why they went with the forged SC crank over the stock crank? I thought the 3 belts put more pressure on the crank then one. Thew Cobras run off one belt and they have a forged crank so I would assume it shoudl be fine, although not positive. I might be able to move the blower back just enough to use the first part of the jackshaft pulley so there could be 2 belts but the room behind the motor is limited, damn firewall is in the way, I may have room though for that.

My main concern now is the injectors, its gonna be tight, I have a few options to work with right now.

1. Make a custom fuel rail and reposition the mounting tabs on the blower that interfere with the injectors (4 of them are in the way)

2. Make the blower sit higher to clear the fuel rail but this would mean a custom hood (no biggy as I can just make one, I am starting to make fibreglass and Carbon Fibre hoods myself)

3. Re-position the injectors at a different angle, may be more effort then its worth due to having to get the right spray pattern angle into the combustion chamber, may not even be possible, but looking at this possibility as well.

V6Sprout
08-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Jamie, man thats cool. If you need it, I can lean you a hand during this project. I'm very interested to see this work for us SC guys.

Damon can you explain a little more by the extra stress this set up would cause. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by that.

thanks Ryan, I'll let you know for sure, I am thinking about a custom mounting plate to mount the blower to my lower intake, so I may need help with that. I'll keep ya posted.

08-29-2004, 06:29 PM
what kinda power gains are you expecting outta this setup?

Tyler

XxSlowpokexX
08-29-2004, 08:06 PM
With the weight of a stock SC pulley putting stress on the crank It doesnt suprise me one bit that they needed something other then a stock cast crank. What were they thinking. The second belt on the SC just drives the jackshaft itself. That thing weighs a ton itself as well.

If you can use the jackshaft with aluminum pulleys of course I would...If its to much of a hassle try it the other way and let us know how it goes

V6Sprout
08-29-2004, 08:53 PM
With the weight of a stock SC pulley putting stress on the crank It doesnt suprise me one bit that they needed something other then a stock cast crank. What were they thinking. The second belt on the SC just drives the jackshaft itself. That thing weighs a ton itself as well.

If you can use the jackshaft with aluminum pulleys of course I would...If its to much of a hassle try it the other way and let us know how it goes

I have SCI's aluminum pullies on my motor now, JS, crank, water pump and ALt. So that will help. I will see if its easier to run off the jackshaft or not, the way it looks it would sit best using one belt since the blower will sit perfect with th eback of the V6 block, on the jackshafy it will overhang a bit but may work, I'll do some more checking to see whats best.

BTW, I appreciate ANY and ALL suggestions or comments, positive or negative on this project as it all helps. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Mike8675309
08-29-2004, 09:54 PM
The key issue isn't pulley weight. It's the consideration of the load on the crankshaft in a localized area. You would really need a mechanical engineer to calculate everything as it's a bit complex.

You have the twisting force of the crankshaft driving the pullies and accesories attached to it. And you have a torsional force caused by the tension of the belts trying to pull the end of the crankshaft up.

The main benefit of the Jackshaft arrangement is the gear reduction that can be achieved. This can reduce the load that is directly placed on the crankshaft. Exactly how much load? I'm not familiar with the calculations though.

darkstar_one
08-30-2004, 12:02 AM
wow man, im super impressed, looks awesome, can this be the beginning of the SVT THUNDERBIRDS? good job man good job.

09-09-2004, 07:37 PM
just woondering if any progress has been made? and what kinda gians are you expecting from the 112?

Tyler

V6Sprout
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
just woondering if any progress has been made? and what kinda gians are you expecting from the 112?

Tyler

its a slow progress as I do it on my spare time, we have been busy the last week finishing up my step brothers 5.0L mustang cam swap, we also powdercoated his entire motor Candy Red! I should have pics of that tonight.

Right now I am trying to get a mould off part of the lower intake so I can cut a contoured piece of aluminum to weld tot he stock lower so I can make a mounting plate for the M112 blower, as soon as I get the mould of the top of the intake I can cut the metal to fit snugly against the curves of the intake for a cleaner look and also so its stronger.

09-10-2004, 05:38 PM
well keep me updated, i think i may borrow your "plate" or try and make one myself when i get home.
i know that the m-112 is mroe efficent blower, but what kinda gians would you guess we will see? i have a few sources for a blower, just waiting for #1 for you to get yours on, or #2 for me to go ahead and take a stab at it when i get home. i dunno yet, contact me on aol, yahoo,under screename smitty1258

thanks,
tyler

V6Sprout
09-11-2004, 08:40 AM
ok, my aol name is V6Sprout

V6Sprout
09-16-2004, 11:48 PM
did a bit of work ont he adapter plate the other day and got some pics tonight. I am making the proto-type adapter out of plexi-glass since its cheaper and easy to cut. Keep in mind this is the beginning of the adapter plate, it will have many many modifications to it before its finished. Right now I an trying to figure out how I will get the injectors to clear the mounting holes on the blower case.

I have a set of 1999+ Mustang injectors which are much thinner and these will clear the mounting tabs ont he blower case much better then the stock SC style injectors and all pre-99 injectors. In the pics I have 4 injectors done, but the remaining 2 hit the mounting tabs slightly so the tabs will need to be shaved but not cut off, they shoudl still be usable. I just don't want to cut the blower case up just yet. I also have to drill holes in the mounting plate to allow access tot he lower intake bolts. This adapter plate will be welded to the lower intake so access to the stock lower intake bolts is needed.

Here is a pic of the adapter plate on the bottom of the blower. Its a little long at the back of the blower right now, I haven't trimmed that down yet.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/dscf0046.jpg

Mounted on the lower intake.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/dscf0045.jpg

injector clearence on the passenger side

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/dscf0042.jpg

drivers side injectors, you can see the injectors are very close to that rear mounting tab, it will have to be shaved slightly.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/dscf0044.jpg

quick35th
09-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Looks great Jamie. Keep it coming!!

Shane

09-18-2004, 03:43 PM
well i just got home jamie, and i am so excited to see the rest done! :D havnt seen ya on aol yet, shoot me your email man.

Tyler

V6Sprout
09-18-2004, 06:27 PM
well i just got home jamie, and i am so excited to see the rest done! :D havnt seen ya on aol yet, shoot me your email man.

Tyler

[email protected]

Wanted1990SC
11-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Any updates?

V6Sprout
11-01-2004, 01:36 AM
funny you should post about it. I was talking with my brother in law today about CAD'ing me up some drawings for the intake, I am gonna build it completely from scratch not using the cut up lower as seen in the earlier pics, I was gonna try but its easier to just make it all new, but same design as the cutup on, the cut up stocker has too make uneven edges to weld to.

Again its a slow progress but I have 2 weeks vacation right now and hope to get some work done on it, I haven't forgotten, just trying to find time to do it, I have lots to do while on vacation here, not actually going anywhere, but should have some time to get things worked out a bit more.

Jayls5
11-01-2004, 01:42 AM
I was thinking about a possible cobra blower swap a few days ago since a few rich guys are upgrading to Kenne Belles and selling their old one on ebay. :D

I can't wait to see yours done.

01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Hey jamie havnt seen ya online for awhile, hows things going?

Tyler

V6Sprout
01-31-2005, 10:43 AM
yeah I have been busy, my wife just gave birth to our second child 2 weeks ago and the baby is still in the hospital with complications, 3 holes in her heart is one of the problems right now. I haven't done much work at all on this setup, bunch of other things have gotten in the way. I am off work now on Parental Leave so HOPEFULLY I can get some more work done on the intake, I think about it regularily and about what I can do to make it work, just haven't done anything, but I definately haven't forgotten about it or given up, hopefully my brother in law can come over and draw up the design on Solidworks for me soon too.

Toms-SC
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Hope things work out for you Jamie! :)

01-31-2005, 01:19 PM
No rush buddy, take care of your family first(we are just secondary family).

And i wish your new baby girl the best, congrats man

Tyler

V6Sprout
01-31-2005, 02:14 PM
thanks guys. :D

SC95Stang
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the baby. Hope everything goes well with your little one.
Your setup looks great, I'd love to see the look on the first V8 guys face that see's that :D . I gave up, parting out and getting a V8 I hope.

V6Sprout
03-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Well I have been working on my custom lower intake yesterday and today, I decided to make the prototype out of wood since its cheap and easy to work with and strong enough that I can actually bolt it on the mock up motor to test fit. I was originally using acrylic but its too damn expensive and fragile.

Anyways, Here are the pics and explanations that go with them.

Front shot, shows the extra idler pulley I will need near the AC compressor(delete pulley), this is to ensure good belt wrap.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_001.jpg

A different angle, you can see how far forward the blower sits, the intake actually hangs over the timing chain cover quite a bit, I had to use a 99+ cam sensor otherwise the custom intake will hit the older larger style Cam sensors. No biggy though.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_003.jpg

Here is a pic of the intake on the motor without the blower. I still have to dig out the tub about another 1.5 inches, I can probably get away without the tub inthe oil valley but I want the extra volume and plus if I decide to add an IC in the future it will give me the needed room. Also notice the front part of the tub is curved where its cut out, I may square this off eventually, the saw I was using wouldn't allow my to square it off but the blower actually angles the air backwards so this curved part may be more beneficial then if squared off, the IC ont he Cobra blower sits towrads the back of the blower, so underneath its actually angled that way.

The opening in the rear of the intake will eventually be closed up, but if I install an intercooler it will have the inlet and outlet pipes through that opening.

You can also see why I am having an issue with where to put the coolant passage, not much room up front but lots of room out back, If I move the coolant passage out back I think I can get the coolant to enter the rear of the intake instead of the front and just put an inline thermostat housing int he upper rad hose.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_004.jpg

Here is the intake off the motor you can get a full view of the tub with this shot. My openings for the ports are badly done, I didn't have the right bit for my dremal and a drill just didin't work too good. Notice the layer of plywood ont he top of the intake that was to get the proper height I wanted, but I may add one more layer of plywood to raise it even more, you'll see why in the next set of pics.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_005.jpg

Here is a shot with the blower on the intake.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_010.jpg

V6Sprout
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Rear shot of the blower on the intake.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_009.jpg

Here you can see inside the intake with the blower installed, the part the IC originally bolts to sits below the top deck of the intake, this is why I might add another layer of plywood to make it sit flush.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_013.jpg

Here is a shot with an extra layer of plywood, see how it sits more flush now, and doesn't block the ports to the heads at all this way, but it does cause more of a problem with the injectors now.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_025.jpg

With the single layer of plywood I can get the fuel injectors to clear pretty good, I can actually take that first layer of plywood off and have no plywood and with the blower sitting that low I get lots of clearence for the injectors but it sits too deep in the intake and blocks half the ports tot he heads so it had to be raised by at least one layer of plywood.

Here is the passenger side front injector that is a problem, see it wants to hit that casting mark ont he mounting tab, I think I can get away with just removing the casting mark and maybe take a little off the actual mounting tab and it shoudl clear fine, I need to use the 99+ pencil style injectors for sure.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_014.jpg

Here is a shot of the drivers side, you can see this one directly interferes with the mounting tab, but I think I can cut the mounting tab off and put a hole inthe casting tab and use that as the mounting tab, it sits higher but I just have to put a tab on the intake to obtain the proper height.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/cobra_custom_intake_027.jpg

03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Looking good man, glad to see some updates here, im glad to see ya still going through with it. I have been waiting to see what you ahve come up with. But great work man, can wait till we see it running and see some power gains. But i was reading somewhere that our intake manifold wouldnt allow as much as air as the blower will be throwing out, or something like that, ill have to do some more research.

Tyler

Toms-SC
03-30-2005, 12:01 PM
:eek: holy nice!

V6Sprout
03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Looking good man, glad to see some updates here, im glad to see ya still going through with it. I have been waiting to see what you ahve come up with. But great work man, can wait till we see it running and see some power gains. But i was reading somewhere that our intake manifold wouldnt allow as much as air as the blower will be throwing out, or something like that, ill have to do some more research.

Tyler

well one of my goals is to create more volume int he lower intake, but also the Cobra blower pulley is larger thent he SC pulley so the blower will spin slower thus less air but still more air then the SC blower. My orginal quick calculations were the M112 flows 20% more air per revolution, so if I can spin the blower 20% slower I will still get the same airflow as the M90 BUT at a lot lower temp which means no IC shoudl be needed. Even if I spin the blower at the same speed as the M90 it will push 20% more air but a lot cooler temps then overdriving the M90 to achieve the same air flow.

Testing will tell the true results. I plan on starting my second prototype today which should be much improved.

03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Ok I understand whats going on then. Sounds good man, i cant wait to see the newest. SO just a guessm and im nto ganna hold ya to it, but what ya think the air intake temps will be? ANd with an IC?

Tyler

V6Sprout
03-30-2005, 02:53 PM
haha aboslutely NO CLUE, :D

03-30-2005, 03:58 PM
aghhhhh come on Jamie, i knwo you have a clue? i swear i wont hold ya to the numbers :D :D :D :D :D

But hopefully i will hear them through the grapevine!!!! :p

Tyler

Snake
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
aghhhhh come on Jamie, i knwo you have a clue? i swear i wont hold ya to the numbers :D :D :D :D :D

But hopefully i will hear them through the grapevine!!!! :p

Tyler
Hey Jamie, Since you sold me your heads that I should metion was a great deal and a nice package . What are you using for heads and what tyope of flows for that type of blower configuration. Just courious.

V6Sprout
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I am going to use STOCK heads to start off with, to see what kind of gains are achieved.

V6Sprout
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
progress is coming along slowly, but its getting there. I hav the tub fabbed up and the flanges are getting close, going to strat cutting out the ports tonight, then hopefully the bolt holes this weekend. Most of the intake is just tacked together for now. I can't weld up the flanges until I can bolt them to the heads, so they warp as little as possible. The intake will be milled afterwards to make sure its completely flat. I am bolting it directly to the heads with no gaskets, so that when its done, I can mill the thickness of the gaskets off the sides. Or as much as need be to get the correct width of the intake. The flanges are taller then they will actually be, I need to cut almsot 1 inch off the top of them, they cover the injector holes right now, but when cut they will be just below the injector holes.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/126979.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/126980.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/126981.jpg

V6Sprout
12-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Having an uncle with a machine shop ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!:chrisb: Got lots done today, went pretty fast too, until people starting calling and coming over. It usually takes a while to get anything done at my uncles cause people come over and talk. Today no one called or came over for the first few hours and we got lots done, then they started calling and coming over so the rest took a while. Bascially we got the 3 ports completely cut out of the flanges, even milled them at a 45 degree angle. The we drilled out the bolt holes which are on a 65 degree angle. The I cut the solid aluminum bar I have for the bolt shafts. After we cut them into small pieces we milled the bottom to the 65 degree angle and then drilled out the center for the bolt. Then I cut the flanges down to the correct height I want them, which is just below the injector holes. The we cut the top of the flanges on a 454 degree anlge so the top plate sits flat on it. We were half way through the second flange of milling that 45 degree final angle and the vice moved, so we finished for the night, going back tomorrow morning to quickly finish up that other flange, but here are the pics of the one side completed.

I also included a pic of what the top piece will look like, just put a scrap piece of aluminum on it for reference. The bolt shafts will all have to be cut to length oncec I fab up the top plate but for now they are all the same length so I can secure it tightly to the head so we can weld up the bottom of the intake. Now I can start working on the ends of the intake. We have not cut the water jacket ports out yet as I am deciding if I want to weld in a water tunnel or use AN fittings, or using tubular aluminum, the tubular aluminum rod is what I am leaning towards, but we'll figure that out when we get there.

I may also open up the rear cooling jackets, and run them to the rear of the intake and out the back, then weld on AN fittings and run AN line from the back of the head tot he front, like they do in drag cars, this should evenly distribute the coolant, and should gain some HP, its just a thought right now, but something I am considering. My uncle was saying its can be worth up to 15HP on some cars, not all of course but there is a reason why race cars do it. What is everyones opinion on this?

Oh yeah here are the pics. You can see the ports are larger then the head ports, I gasket matched the intake ports. I can actually open them up just a little more as we did not mill out the port to the endges of my lines, we thought it was best to under cut them at first before we go all the way, we will open them up just that little but extra later on.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/127821.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/127822.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/127823.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/127824.jpg

XxSlowpokexX
12-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Looks like ya may be able to even fit some laminova type IC cores under there..Plan on anything>?

Sweet90SC
12-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Thats is just so cool.......:cool:-~

V6Sprout
12-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Looks like ya may be able to even fit some laminova type IC cores under there..Plan on anything>?

I hope to get an IC under there, thats why I am building it with a tub, just in case. The first working prototype will have no IC to see what benefits if any are gained without the IC, lower boost creates less heat, so my first goal is to produce the same HP with less boost and non intercooled. The stocK Cobra pulley is quite a bit larger so it will spin slower but probably push the same amount of air as the M90 with the smaller pulley, but with less heat of course. I want to test everything on a completely stock motor, then a motor with ported heads next, then I can work on an IC setup as well.

XxSlowpokexX
12-18-2006, 03:10 AM
goodluck...the m112 will be comming out in full force in the comming year it seems

V6Sprout
12-19-2006, 09:59 PM
finished up the mill work ont he other flange tonight, here are the new pics.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/128599.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/128600.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/128601.jpg

Mike8675309
12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
So... you're saying that once I finally buy a welder I'm not going to be even 1/3rd of the way towards building my own sheet metal intake? Aaaaggggggghhhhhh..

Good job. Just let us know all the things you do wrong so we don't do the same thing.;)

MikeKanterakis
12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm curious about the tub depth. Now that you've mounted the SC a little higher, you don't need a very deep chasm to contain any of the body of the SC. So, would it be better to have a bigger chasm/tub or a smaller one?

Thoughts?

kenewagner
12-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I am following your progress intently as I know I had asked you some questions when I began my own M112 project. I love the manifold but have a few questions. The tub area looks to set below the ports in the head, does the future IC you are planning set in the valley set below the ports? Also when the blower is sitting on the new manifold, how much higher is the complete set compared to a stock M90? One of my concerns on my project was height. I have a 1.5" raised hood so I built mine accordingly. I Did another one for a fellow club member that will fit under a stock head. Sam (007) wants one and has a 3" raised hood. Would your set up fit under a 3" raised hood, if so he might want to run the cobra set up. Your manifold is great and I have some ideas of my own for one so it is nice to see one in progress and done nicely as well

Ken

mannysc
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
from the looks of it and judging from my inverted setup it should clear the hood looks to be no higher than the stock m90 with raised top. except for the pully thats where i had my clearance problems

im working on a m112 also but intend to add water to air ic inside dont really care about hood clearance ive got a raised hood.

ive bneen keeping an eye out on both of you i like what i see ,

i just love fabrication you guys are good damn good. wish i had the tools to do such clean work i have to do it all by hand. basic tools .

kenewagner
12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
This is one basic tool I use more than anything manny. If you aint got one get one. I polish grind, sand with it. Besides that I have watched the manny, wynne mod wars for a long time and I know you guys do some trick stuff too

seawalkersee
12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Since you are fabbing this intake all the way, I suggest that you route a water passage from the rear of the drivers side head to have some sort of hose connect it to the front to keep the coolant a uniform temp.

Also, for the height Ken, he has an advantage with this setup. He will not be running cooler pipes off of a top. So he has an inch or so advantage to even start with.

Chris

mannysc
12-20-2006, 04:27 PM
This is one basic tool I use more than anything manny. If you aint got one get one. I polish grind, sand with it. Besides that I have watched the manny, wynne mod wars for a long time and I know you guys do some trick stuff too

that is a nifty tool i dont have but I will get one.
I just got a few tools a lathe and a big drill press that i use as a cnc of sorts.

and a band saw of the horizontal. perpandicular which ever i choose . and a mig a tig and a plasma cam my wife is getting me for Xmas
http://www.plasmacam.com/

kenewagner
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Manny: Anyone who fabricates should have one of them. Im just getting a Christmas card from my wife.

Chris: Sam and I have a design for a manifold for the SC that Sam wants me to build for him. Its his design and I hope to start on it after my project is wrapped up.

V6Sprout: Im watching your posts on your blowerand manifold, more so the manifold. You got a nice design and and it gives me ideas on how to make a better manifold for the 3.8 Wish more guys would post pictures of their projects. Most everything I have done for my SC started by seeing something new like your blower,manifold. Thanks for all your imput and look forward to seeing your final product

Ken

V6Sprout
12-20-2006, 06:53 PM
no problem, I enjoy seeing others pics as well, and one of the reasons why I post pics is so people can give me feedback and suggestions. The blower sits a little higher then the M90 but not by much, the snout of the M112 should still clear a stock hood, I used the alternator bracket height as a comparison, since the snout is about the same height as it.

I am having issues with the mounting bolts for the manifold, I may try using a 3x3 block of aluminum and cutting it in half diagonally, giving my two triangular pieces, then cut out the ports from it, this will allow the mounting bolts to be all part of the intake flange so no tubes needed. This will make it easier to counter sink them as well since there will be more meat. The other main reason I may try this is so I have something to bolt the blower to, right now with my current design there is not much to bolt the blower to.

I have made 3 prototypes out of wood and one of the designs used a solid chuck where the flange goes. Only problem is the 3x3 chunk of aluminum is not cheap, but I think if I can get one and cut it diagonally to give me two pieces that should work out just right.

Also the setup I am designing will use one belt system and the Mustang accesory brackets. The SC PS bracket is slightly different at the top corner near the lower intake, since the coil pack is there it gets in the way of my intake so I decided to use the Mustang PS bracket, plus this gives me an idler pulley beside the alternator instead of a tensioner, the tensioner is onteh AC bracket. I want to try and make it work with both brackets but its going on the Mustang bracket first.

The purpose of the tub is to allow for an intercooler later on, it will sit right up against the bottom of the M112 and air will flow though it and into the tub, then back up around the sides into the intake ports. Probably will use a luminova style IC.

Plat0ribs
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM

My company makes those, they sure do what you need without contortion!

http://www.nittokohki.com/en/displaycontent.asp?ID=64

V6Sprout
01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
ok new pics. Did this last week but must have forgot to post the pics. Decided to change the flanges and make them thicker so the blower has more meat to bolt into, as well I am going to make the top removable and counter sink the intake bolts below the top plate. Got a 3x3 block of aluminum and cut it diagonally to make two triangles. They sit well above the heads right now, so the blower sits high, but they will be milled down. It took me FOREVER to cut this block diagonally, DAMN. The pics show each piece sitting well above the heads, these still need to be milled down about 1 inch so they will sit at the same height as my other flanges, just below the injector holes, so everything is sitting high in the pic.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/136482.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/136483.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/136484.jpg

gonna use the old plates I made for a custom one piece upper/lower boxed intake :)

kenewagner
01-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Wondering how your progress was coming. Looking forward to seeing a finished project. My car has been sitting for 3 weeks ready to go to the dyno but the weather here is not allowing me to get there. Snowing like hell right now.

Ken

mega_man_01103
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey Sprout....Are you doing all this off the top of your head? any documentation of your steps?

Im pretty sure you are going to get this to work and many people (me included) would like to take a stab on it also, but would need help on how to.

Raul

kenewagner
02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Did you use a vertical bandsaw to cut it? It looks like you will have a lot of milling to do for everything to line up and work. To me it seems your original flanges were the way to go but than thats just me. A lot of times I start doing something one way and change in midstream. I have several projects to start on next, one being a new manifold for a local club member and another blower project. Keep thowing out those pictures for us so we can see your progress

Ken

MikeKanterakis
02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Awesome looking setup, especially considering the liquid cooling now offered. Stokes me beyond belief. I'd add an initial cooler above the supercharger with individual tubes supplying each intake running back down. Maybe with extra little tubes for n02.

CraZy!

btw, what ever happend to AssClown?

V6Sprout
02-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Ken - yeah I used a vertical band saw to cut the block into two triangles, I mad a jig to keep it straight, but it took forever due to the thickness. If I could have gotten a 3.5 or 4 inch square block I could have cut each triangle into 2 more triangles giving me 4 triangles, and made 4 flanges. But the shop only had a 3 inch square block. It doesn't matter anyways I expected to have a lot of waste, and after this set is done I plan on having it cadded up so I can have the next set CNC cut. The amount of labour put into cutting and milling these is insane.

After you see my new pics you will understand why I canged the flanges, I needed something to bolt the blower to, the old setup had no aluminum for the blower bolts, plus the intake bolts would interfere slightly, now with the new setup I can countersink the intake -> head bolts and then the top plate will sit flat on top.

I tarted milling the new pieces tonight, only got part of one done, and not much at that, takes forever milling a small section at a time. Her eis a pic of the milling in progress, following pics will describe whats going on.

Here you can see I am milling out a triangular area on the right, you can see where I have roughly drawn the lines of the other sections, see next pic for details on that.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/141005.jpg

Here you can see the 5 sections. I am milling out section 3 int he pic, the reason being is because of the shape of the aluminum right now. After section 3 is milled out I can then rotate the aluminum triangle to the right and section 1 will be able to have towo flat sides to firmly clamp in the vice. The will put section 5 (head side of the flange) at a 45 degree angle to the drill bit. Now I can bore out my ports at the 45 degree angle I want. Once they are done along with the bolt holes I will continue milling the piece and get rid of sections 1 and 2 leaving me with my new flange consisting of sections 4 and 5. The reason I have them sectioned off is to show you the difference from my first set of flanges to the new set, Section 5 is what the first set looked like, section 4 is what I am adding.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/141006.jpg

In this pic I have rotated the pic right side up and shaded in the new flange, notice now how much meat I have at the top of the flange, this gives me more meat to bolt the blower down. I plan on bolting the top plate tot he blower, then drilling new holes in the top plate and placing them where I want them to bolt down to the flanges.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/425/7877/141007.jpg

I got all of section 3 milled out on ONE flange, thats it, I will do one flange at a time, then move onto the next flange and repeat the process. More pics will follow, probably won't head back to my uncles till next Saturday though.

squrlnut
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Why dont you just build the manifold then get a kenny bell for it?

V6Sprout
03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Why dont you just build the manifold then get a kenny bell for it?

that is the eventual plan, starting with the M112 is much cheaper of course, don't want to spend the money on a KB and find out it won't work. I ahvn't even had time to touch this project in a long time, too many projects on the go, including a custom V6 turbo kit I have been working on, for my buddies Mustang. Hopefully I can get back at it soon.

squrlnut
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
i got to hand it to you, your work looks first rate. what do you think about turbo for the supercharger? has it been done on this engine, does anyone know? i say drop the compression ratio to about 6 to 1, then filler up with a deadly mix. hahaha!!!!!!!!!!

V6Sprout
03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Well I learn a lot from my uncle who is a chassis builder, I use his shop for the milling and majority of the work and gethis input on things as well.

As for a turbo and supercharger combo, I have seen it done, so it is possible and dropping the CR to 6:1 is not needed, the stock compression would be fine I think.

squrlnut
03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
i believe that i would drop my ratio, it gives you more room for more fuel and air.

V6Sprout
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
i believe that i would drop my ratio, it gives you more room for more fuel and air.

sure dropping it wouldn't hurt but stock is what 8.5:1 thats not too high. If your building a motor from the get go then yeah a lower CR will be good, never hurts I guess.