M112 Cobra blown V6 SC motor coming *PICS*

V6Sprout

OK, I worked part of today testing out how this blower is going to mount, its going to be a piece of cake except one major problem, the FUEL INJECTORS!!!!!! Damn, it shoudl still work but its gonna be tight, I have to cut some of the mounting holes from the blower case cause they are in the way of the injectors, physically there is enough room for the injectors but the fuel rail hits the blower case as I figured, so a custom rail is definately needed, that I will work on later. The good news is I can get the setup to work with ONE belt, using the mustang brackets, for more belt wrap a second idler pulley is needed but as you can see in the pics that will not be a problem, already figured that out. I can even get the stock blower shroud to work, not sure if I'll use it but woudl be cool. Imagine someone looking under my hood and seeing the blower and shroud, they would think, "WOW an 03 Cobra motor in a 94 stang, cool, hey wait, those valve covers are not DOHC covers, wait thats a V6!!!!!!!! :eek: " Anyways here are the pics of the mocked up setup so far.

comparison shot of the stock blower and 03 blower, I added the inlets on the stock blower for better reference of actual length, its a few inches longer. The cool thing is the blower sits only 2 inches taller then the stock SC blower body, but add the blower top and the cobra blower sits the SAME HEIGHT, only difference in height is the snout sits 2 inches higher, but as for the main body section its the same due to no blower top now.

comp2.jpg

here is a shot of the stock blower alone vs the 03 blower, man it looks small. The 03 blower is DAMN heavy too, makes the stock SC blower feel like a feather, literally.

comp1.jpg

here is a front shot of the blower sitting on the motor with mustang brakets. You can see the extra idler I have next to the AC compressor, its just a pulley sitting on a threaded rod but you get the idea. The belt is too short but it woudl also wrap around the alternator and PS pulley and crank shaft of course, but in the pic it doesn't.

front.jpg

here is the same shot with the blower shroud, kinda cool.

frontcov.jpg

and a top view, looks way too damn clean, I can remove both valve covers without removing anything else. It looks cleaner in this shot cause there is no injectors or wiring harness but still gonna look pretty cool when done.

top.jpg

Looks good, but I have to question this statement:
here is the same shot with the blower shroud, kinda cool.
I have to disagree. If I ever bought a Cobra, that would be the first thing I removed. Keep up the good work :)

Kurt K said:
Looks good, but I have to question this statement: I have to disagree. If I ever bought a Cobra, that would be the first thing I removed. Keep up the good work :)

I agree, I woudl remove it as well if I had a cobra, but what I meant was the Cobra comes with it so at first glance with the shroud on it looks like a Cobra motor, until you realise the small valve covers and lack of size inthe motor. haha I most likely will not run with the shroud on but will make it fit just in case.

will do for sure, I am hoping to get my lower intake laser cut tomorrow by my uncle if he has time, I am going to first cut the top center section out and try and get the blower mounted, progress will be slow as I will only get work done when my uncle has time to weld it up but I will work at it as best I can, I relaly need to get a welder and learn how to weld aluminum. hahaha

Id liek to see how the one belt setup works...Keep in mind it will put more stress on your crank as opposed to running a jackshaft tyoe setup

Jamie, man thats cool. If you need it, I can lean you a hand during this project. I'm very interested to see this work for us SC guys.

Damon can you explain a little more by the extra stress this set up would cause. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by that.

The blower will now be running off the crank directly. Longevity is why they originally went with a jackshaft type setup. It basically isolates the blower operation.

I wal always under the impression that the 3 belts is why they went with the forged SC crank over the stock crank? I thought the 3 belts put more pressure on the crank then one. Thew Cobras run off one belt and they have a forged crank so I would assume it shoudl be fine, although not positive. I might be able to move the blower back just enough to use the first part of the jackshaft pulley so there could be 2 belts but the room behind the motor is limited, damn firewall is in the way, I may have room though for that.

My main concern now is the injectors, its gonna be tight, I have a few options to work with right now.

1. Make a custom fuel rail and reposition the mounting tabs on the blower that interfere with the injectors (4 of them are in the way)

2. Make the blower sit higher to clear the fuel rail but this would mean a custom hood (no biggy as I can just make one, I am starting to make fibreglass and Carbon Fibre hoods myself)

3. Re-position the injectors at a different angle, may be more effort then its worth due to having to get the right spray pattern angle into the combustion chamber, may not even be possible, but looking at this possibility as well.

Last edited:
Ryan A Harris said:
Jamie, man thats cool. If you need it, I can lean you a hand during this project. I'm very interested to see this work for us SC guys.

Damon can you explain a little more by the extra stress this set up would cause. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by that.

thanks Ryan, I'll let you know for sure, I am thinking about a custom mounting plate to mount the blower to my lower intake, so I may need help with that. I'll keep ya posted.

With the weight of a stock SC pulley putting stress on the crank It doesnt suprise me one bit that they needed something other then a stock cast crank. What were they thinking. The second belt on the SC just drives the jackshaft itself. That thing weighs a ton itself as well.

If you can use the jackshaft with aluminum pulleys of course I would...If its to much of a hassle try it the other way and let us know how it goes

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
With the weight of a stock SC pulley putting stress on the crank It doesnt suprise me one bit that they needed something other then a stock cast crank. What were they thinking. The second belt on the SC just drives the jackshaft itself. That thing weighs a ton itself as well.

If you can use the jackshaft with aluminum pulleys of course I would...If its to much of a hassle try it the other way and let us know how it goes

I have SCI's aluminum pullies on my motor now, JS, crank, water pump and ALt. So that will help. I will see if its easier to run off the jackshaft or not, the way it looks it would sit best using one belt since the blower will sit perfect with th eback of the V6 block, on the jackshafy it will overhang a bit but may work, I'll do some more checking to see whats best.

BTW, I appreciate ANY and ALL suggestions or comments, positive or negative on this project as it all helps. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

The key issue isn't pulley weight. It's the consideration of the load on the crankshaft in a localized area. You would really need a mechanical engineer to calculate everything as it's a bit complex.

You have the twisting force of the crankshaft driving the pullies and accesories attached to it. And you have a torsional force caused by the tension of the belts trying to pull the end of the crankshaft up.

The main benefit of the Jackshaft arrangement is the gear reduction that can be achieved. This can reduce the load that is directly placed on the crankshaft. Exactly how much load? I'm not familiar with the calculations though.

wow man, im super impressed, looks awesome, can this be the beginning of the SVT THUNDERBIRDS? good job man good job.

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
just woondering if any progress has been made? and what kinda gians are you expecting from the 112?

Tyler

its a slow progress as I do it on my spare time, we have been busy the last week finishing up my step brothers 5.0L mustang cam swap, we also powdercoated his entire motor Candy Red! I should have pics of that tonight.

Right now I am trying to get a mould off part of the lower intake so I can cut a contoured piece of aluminum to weld tot he stock lower so I can make a mounting plate for the M112 blower, as soon as I get the mould of the top of the intake I can cut the metal to fit snugly against the curves of the intake for a cleaner look and also so its stronger.

well keep me updated, i think i may borrow your "plate" or try and make one myself when i get home.
i know that the m-112 is mroe efficent blower, but what kinda gians would you guess we will see? i have a few sources for a blower, just waiting for #1 for you to get yours on, or #2 for me to go ahead and take a stab at it when i get home. i dunno yet, contact me on aol, yahoo,under screename smitty1258

thanks,
tyler

Back