PDA

View Full Version : Home ported heads

BlkSCnKS
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking about buying a set of heads from an SC and in my spare time port them. I think this is the next logical step for my '95 SC and I don't have the money for Steig heads since I'm going to school. I would like to put larger valves put in the heads but was wondering what valves to get. Also, what other mods should be done to the heads so they will be ready for a larger cam. I'm sure I'll have to replace the springs, but what else needs done? I would like any and all input, ideas, advice on what I should do. I'd also like to know if you think it's even a good idea. Thanks, Brandon

fastsc92
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
i'm selling a set of heads in the parts section that are ported with stock valves. Porting the heads is a good mod, but there is more to it than just gasket matching. You want to do bowl work and spend some time on the radius. Its never going to match up to a steig cam, only because they weld and cut the runners and change the bowl shape in order to get some more flow, as well as adding larger valves. Like i said, not a bad idea to do, but only if you're adding a cam to compliment it.

BlkSCnKS
08-27-2004, 09:26 PM
I am planning on adding a cam while I have the heads off. And when I said port the heads, I meant everything, bowls included. I've done a lot of research on porting big block ford heads. I realize I'm working with a completely different beast but I think I can do a satisfactory job with the knowledge I've acquired. Is there anything else anybody recommend I replace while I have the heads apart? Also, what valves are you guys using that are larger then stock? Thanks, Brandon

sizemoremk
08-28-2004, 04:08 AM
I've been thinking of doing the samething. My mileage on my engine is a mystery (broken odometer before I got it) and I have no idea when my HGs are gonna go...

If I had a "spare set" to get ready, when tey do go, I'll be all set!

I've read about small block checy valves being used, but don't you have to machine the angles for the valves? You just can't throw em in there can you? SBC valves are cheap and plentiful, and plenty of sizes available.

I'd like to see a good writeup with specifics about what fastsc92 was describing...

Any idea where to start?

fastsc92
08-28-2004, 09:33 AM
You can add slightly larger valves on the stock heads, but it wont do you any good with the stock valve seats. If you want larger valves, the seats will need to come out, the heads will need to be machined and then new seats pressed in, and then the seats machined to match the valves. Otherwise you're adding a larger valve on the same size seat and bowl and wont gain any flow.

When they weld the ports, they are basically changing the entire shape of the bowl area and ports/runners. On the exhaust side, they will add much more material to the bowl, so that i can be shaped to help flow. They also change the exhaust port to look like a "D" only with the flat part on the bottom. This allows a straighter path for the air to flow out from the valve and short turn radius which is completely gone. For the intake side they change some of the runners inner diameter and bowl work as well. Its a lot of work to do something like that and a lot of search, machining, and special tooling is required. Thats why heads like that cost $2200.

catwithboost
08-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Here is a set I did for a member a couple of weeks ago. He paid for the parts and I did the labor for free. The have 1.90 intakes and 1.60 exhaust.

kwikcoupe
08-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Here is a set I did for a member a couple of weeks ago. He paid for the parts and I did the labor for free. The have 1.90 intakes and 1.60 exhaust.
How much did you charge him. Wanna practice on my heads also. Im in washington also so maybe you could show me how or something. did you get flow numbers off those heads. they look real nice like Mike

catwithboost
08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Email me so I don't hold up this thread. [email protected]