Help motor stoped

PETEp

:confused: Going down the highway the motor stoped all the lights came on.
pulled over the car would not start wait 5 min . The car starts drives 10 min stops again wait 5 min car starts and semes ok now. will I get stuck or can I trust the car not to stop again. what could be it be to restart and be ok now. Thanks guys I know some one knows Pete

i think its ur DIS module acting up, pull up the codes and see what it threw out, maybe ur DIS module is overheating and causing erratic behavior. pull up the codes, make sure the solenoid on the fender by the battery and make sure its tight, all the lines are tight also, check ur fuses.

Sounds like a classic Crank Sensor going bad.
Check that your Balancer Bolt is still there!!
I'll bet the "upshift" light is on when it doesn't start right??

car no go

It looks like the DIS can be changed easy. But the crank sensor needs a pro.
Not that it matters but do you know what a DIS cost. Mabe I will start by changing that. if that dont work Iwill have my ford shop chang the crank sensor. And yes the up shift light was on, but the bolt in the middle of the bottom pully is there is that the balancer bolt you mean. I will check everything you guys said. I will let you how I make out thank you all for the help Pete

Save your money on the DIS idea, if the UpShift light=(no crank signal) is on when you turn the key to start the car, your crank sensor or balancer/bolt is gone and you can put on as many DISs as y want but the problem will still be there. Y can always hope that it the connector for the crank sensor, located near the cam sensor, and you can try unplugging & cleaning it but get ready for a new crank sensor. I've bought a few crank sensors and $100.+- come to mind. Good luck

Symptoms on CID

My experience on the CID problem (cam sensor) is the car will buck and the tac will jump before it dies.....If you blower snout seal is leaking on the front of the engine....you can try to clean the oil/dirty out first. (the CID is the thing were a distributer would be under the blower snout. 1 wire plug and 2 small bolts)

The CID sensor is around $40.

The Crank Sensor is more work. It is down on the left side of engine. 1 wire plug and 3 bolts for mounting bracket with 2 bolts holding the sensor to the bracket.

It's a good idea to check the codes first though!

Thank you

Yes my son said the tac moved up too. Thank you for all the help. The car is not a daily driver I was sitting most of the summer. I thought that would do it , Im a points and plugs cap and rotor guy from way back. Give me a match book cover I will make it start. Thanks again pete

vancouverBC said:
Save your money on the DIS idea, if the UpShift light=(no crank signal) is on when you turn the key to start the car, your crank sensor or balancer/bolt is gone and you can put on as many DISs as y want but the problem will still be there. Y can always hope that it the connector for the crank sensor, located near the cam sensor, and you can try unplugging & cleaning it but get ready for a new crank sensor. I've bought a few crank sensors and $100.+- come to mind. Good luck
Pete,
I think I may have told you in another thread, but the former owner of my car has a garage in Westerly, RI and replaced the crank sensor (parts and labor) for $127.12 including tax

Well i have done three crank sensors before and it still took me 2 hours to replace one the other day.

The part is around $55 so you payed about $60 labor not that bad.

Jerry

Back