Heads What's Good?

Kirk Bryan

Hey all,
I'm looking for some ported heads, but I don't know what is out there and/or where I should be looking. Does anyone have any information on the ?Stagermeyer heads? How do they compare to others?

What about cams?
Tuning programs and EECs?

Any or all info would be great.

Thanks guys

Kirk Bryan said:
Hey all,
I'm looking for some ported heads, but I don't know what is out there and/or where I should be looking. Does anyone have any information on the ?Stagermeyer heads? How do they compare to others?

What about cams?
Tuning programs and EECs?

Any or all info would be great.

Thanks guys

I beleive the Steigmier (not sure on spelling either) heads are the best out there for making HP.

Other options are; Coy Miller - very nice looking work, but more money, and they make less power, or the famous Bob Johnson heads - performance numbers seem to be a secret and only a couple people have them, speak nicely to Jim Demmit for more on those.

As far as a cam, I'd go with the one suggested by whoever ends up doing your heads. As for tuning you can either use an EEC tuner, or get a chip. The only chips I'd trust are Apten, or the new Superchips custom tuned by Brian.

I'll say it again personally I'd start with the Stieg heads and cam, and go from there. Go to www.apten-us.com for prices and more info on the stieg heads cam and tuning. Its a well known, proven setup.

Last edited:
Thanks. Nice info on the site. I sent them an email hope to hear back soon.

Oh and it's 'Stiegemeier'. At least you were closer than I was. :eek:

I hear ya, not to say anything bad about Morana, from what I hear, his turn around time is a little slow. I should email him to see at least.

Being Canadian I would suggest getting the best Tom has to offer. Dont' go for a budget job, Tom's heads can run with the best (Bill "the wanker" McNeil is proof of that. Get a cam based on your desired engine operating range, not the heads themselves. Since the car is supercharged, the old rules for cam selection are not entirely valid.

For best torque and driveability and if you have vacuum assisted brakes, go with 210/220 dur and about .520-.550" lift. For a nasty screamer make that about 230/240 dur and about .580" lift.

Comp cams has new cams available so you don't have to go with a regrind anymore.

Andrew,
Have to stay true to the 6. :eek:

Dave,
Looking at Morana's flow numbers, they flow better than Stiege's. Thanks for the info. Like those numbers on the cam. You think a .600 lift is too much?

Among Other Things?

XR7 Dave said:
Being Canadian
Huh?

XR7 Dave said:
Get a cam based on your desired engine operating range, Since the car is supercharged, the old rules for cam selection are not entirely valid.
Are you saying that the old N/A rules don't apply? Duh! OR are you saying that the old school blow cam specs don't apply,

OR

Are you saying that a FAST RAMP, Short overlap, (relatively) high lift cam will make lots of power?

Just Curious 68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Huh?

Are you saying that the old N/A rules don't apply? Duh! OR are you saying that the old school blow cam specs don't apply,

OR

Are you saying that a FAST RAMP, Short overlap, (relatively) high lift cam will make lots of power?

Just Curious 68COUGAR

All of the above. LOL

Kirk, lift over .600 gets hard on the valvetrain. An M90 powered motor will not rev high enough to take advantage of the rpm capability of more than .600" lift. Plan accordingly. :)

68Cougar said:
XR7 Dave said:
Being Canadian...
Huh?

I believe Dave was refering to ME being Canadian.

So Dave,
In your opinion... .600 lift would be too much? Or just don't go higher? What if I had something other than an M90?

Anything to throw in Cougar?? The more the better.

Thanks guys.

Back