PDA

View Full Version : transmission ?

Supercouper91
08-28-2004, 02:43 AM
I have a 91 sc and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much trans fluid my AOD holds? The fluid needs to be changed but I can't find how much I need to refill it. Also, do I need to put RTV on the gasket when I reinstall the pan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TbirdSCFan
08-28-2004, 07:45 AM
I think its 15 quarts including the converter...

LOL.. I went to Azone yesterday to get fluid to change it in my wifes Toyota minivan. In the owners manual, it said 3.8 quarts for a fluid change.. I thought "Oh, they must mean just what the pan holds", so I factored in another 4 quarts for the converter (FWD vehicle) and bought 8 quarts total. I drained the fluid and got about 2 quarts from the pan, then another 1-1/2 by running it.. total was really about 3-1/2 quarts. :rolleyes: They don't use much in that car, but what is used gets a good workout.

The AOD uses a lot more than 4 quarts, but you'll have to run the engine, and drain the converter to get most of it. If you don't want a mess on the driveway and on yourself, go buy about 8' of clear plastic hose and siphon out most of the fluid before you drop the pan.

The cork-style gasket is not supposed to take any sealants. Just a bit of grease to get it to stay in place while you bolt it on.

J.D.
08-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Since you can never drain all the fluid out of it, the best way to know how much to add is to measure how much drained out.

darkstar_one
08-28-2004, 11:25 AM
oh **** wrong box...

hey i pour around 5 or 6 quarts in mine... if u have a remote cooler u have to add a lil more for that also, i recommend, u add 5 quarts, start the ~~~ be up, check for leaks and let it idle to warm and shift through all the gears to make sure oil is getting into every lil crevis of the freaking transmission... then just add what it needs... also i recommend u add the additive LUCAS TRANSMISSION FIX to make ur mechanicall dilly last a lil longer. pour it in before u pour the fluid.

as for the pan, me and my pops always put grey RTV gasket maker that comes in the lil tubes, it kinda has that wet dirt smell to it, does a fine good job of keeping the fluids from seeping out...