PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint and Rear Window Defroster

Still Crusin
08-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone with rear window defrost that have had their rear window tinted have had any problems with the tint or the defroster, especially after having the rear window tint re-done. I did a search on window tinting and saw one person who stated their rear window defroster was damaged after getting the rear window re-tinted.
I'm going to have my window's tinted for first time and am concerned about this as I use my rear window defroster frequently and don't want it rendered useless.

debo92sc
08-28-2004, 01:27 PM
i have had my tinted for 4 years and i have had no problems......just make sure that somebody well known is doing the job :D ....if they are a big company they will have insurance to cover stuff like that if it is their fault :cool:

Mike8675309
08-28-2004, 01:36 PM
A local guy just had is LX re-tinted and they cracked the rear glass while doing it. They paid for the new rear window.

The only way the rear defrost should be damaged is if someone uses razor blades on it. A good tint shop should have a technique to remove the existing tint without resorting to razor blades. I stripped my own tint but didn't have time to get it re-done yet.

The key to good tint is good materials, and a person that has experience doing it. The T-birds are a little tough because the back glass has some odd compoud curves to it that can frustrate an in-experienced tinter. Make sure whoever does it for you has worked on the Tbirds before.

Darkside
08-28-2004, 02:22 PM
A local guy just had is LX re-tinted and they cracked the rear glass while doing it. They paid for the new rear window.

The only way the rear defrost should be damaged is if someone uses razor blades on it. A good tint shop should have a technique to remove the existing tint without resorting to razor blades. I stripped my own tint but didn't have time to get it re-done yet.

The key to good tint is good materials, and a person that has experience doing it. The T-birds are a little tough because the back glass has some odd compoud curves to it that can frustrate an in-experienced tinter. Make sure whoever does it for you has worked on the Tbirds before.
How did you strip the tint. Any pointers. I need to do this badly.

Mike8675309
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM
I did a lot of reading over at www.tintdude.com.

Basically you use a 20% mix of vinegar and water, some black trash bags, a set of new razor blades, and a plastic scotch bright type pad.

Pick a sunny day and spray some water on your glass. Lay the plastic bag flat on the glass and cut out the shape of your glass. Cover your rear deck and then spray the inside of the rear glass with the vinegar and water mixture while attaching the cut out piece of plastic bag to the glass. It will stick to the glass. Make sure you completely cover the tinted area with the plastic bag and that it's holding tight. It needs to stay wet between the bag and the glass. Then park in the sun. Leave it there for 15 minutes and then the tint should come right off with the plastic bag. Find an edge and start to pull it off.

Most of the adhesive will come off with the tint. For the stuff that doesn't spray the window with the mixture and scrub it with the plastic pad. It will take it off.

For the side windows I pulled the door panels to make it easier. Doing the same thing as the back window on the sides.

The razor blades are to get any tint couldn't get to just come off. Usually near the edges.

Make sure you get all the adhesive off otherwise if you are going to bring it to a shop to get it re-tinted they'll charge you extra if they have to go and remove the adhesive.

The tint is porus so the mixture soaks through it and causes the adhesive to break down. That's why you use such a mixture.

Jeremy_K
08-29-2004, 10:51 AM
a good tint shop will preserve your defroster lines but it will likely cost you extra. i was cheap and wanted my car back fast so i told them not to worry about the defroster lines.

Jeremy_K
08-29-2004, 10:54 AM
How did you strip the tint. Any pointers. I need to do this badly.
chris, if you want, you can get the tint removal kit at autozone for like $4. then you'll need plastic wrap and some masking tape. i'll help you out if you want. i've done it on many side windows but never the back. who needs defrosters?! we're in the frickin' desert! :rolleyes: :D

kevenj90sc
08-29-2004, 11:05 AM
To remove old tint: cut up a plastic trash bag so it's only one layer thick, spray windex on the window and then put the plastic on it; let it sit for like 30 minutes....pull off the plastic and most of the tint should come with it, you may have to repeat this a couple times but it worked for me. A local tint shop told me this trick.

IF you damage on of the lines for the defroster don't panic. You can go to an auto parts store ( I Know NAPA for sure) and get a repair kit....what it is is basically a conductive paint with a small brush, it comes with a template that you put on the window and then just paint over the defroster line that's damaged. I used it but i found the groove in the template was too wide so i just masked it myself with tape. worked perfectly. just make sure all the defroster lines work before you re-tint. If one is damaged the rest will still work but you'll have a blank spot that doesn't defrost.

Good luck

Mike8675309
08-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Note that Windex works because it has amonia in it. The Amonia is what breaks down the adhesive. That's why you are not supposed to use windex to clean the inside of windows that have been tinted.

Jeremy_K
08-29-2004, 08:41 PM
yes, ammonia + sun = purple windows!

getblown
08-29-2004, 10:01 PM
a good tint shop will preserve your defroster lines but it will likely cost you extra. i was cheap and wanted my car back fast so i told them not to worry about the defroster lines.

I would think that having a solid piece, or two pieces would be better than having the defroster cut out, no? So why is cutting it out better?

jOe

Jeremy_K
08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
I would think that having a solid piece, or two pieces would be better than having the defroster cut out, no? So why is cutting it out better?

jOe
if you're tinting them for the first time, you don't need to worry about the defrosters. it's when you try to remove the tint that you need to worry about them.

getblown
08-29-2004, 11:12 PM
if you're tinting them for the first time, you don't need to worry about the defrosters. it's when you try to remove the tint that you need to worry about them.

gotcha.....

Mike8675309
08-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Defroster problems are almost always only an issue if you don't weaken the adhesive before removing the tint. If you end up going at the tint with a razor blade, there is no way to not damage the defroster lines. But if you do it right, a razor blade should never need to touch the glass.

Still Crusin
09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. I feel much better about it now. I realize it's not so much an issue for me right now regarding the rear defroster, but I was just looking ahead down the road and wanted to know what I was in for BEFORE I even have the tint put on.
Plus, I was curious if any issues of using the rear defroster with the tint.
Yes, I do live in a hot climate most of the time, however, I like using rear defroster to help keep the early morning condesation off the rear window. Window will still fog up even after I use a squegee on it. I usually only keep the rear defroster on for a few minutes and then it will generally stay clear as long as outside temp isn't at dew point.

90blkbrd
09-01-2004, 09:33 PM
The rear window on my bird was tinted in 90-91, I have the receipt somewhere. (came with the car) The window tint is perfect. I also used the rear window defrost at least twice a week last winter.

Jeremy_K
09-02-2004, 11:27 AM
you shouldn't have any problems using your defroster. it shouldn't effect the tint at all.