Why is my car eating starters??

Mitch90BlackSC

Okay, this is getting frustrating. I went to start the car today and she wouldn't start; only 1 click. The Ford shop manual says that is a starter solonoid problem. But this is the 3rd new starter in only about 5,000 miles. First time, I replaced the starter myself with a new one from AZ- worked for a while then, dead, 1 click. Had the car towed into Ford and they said that the "discount" starters are cheap, and not as good as Ford's. Works for a while and then again today, same thing.
What could possibly be eating my starters?
While at Ford, I had them replace the starter, the starter relay, and the ignition switch. Also the lead wire from the relay to the starter is new.
All connections are good, all fuses good.
WHAT GIVES?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

XR7 Dave said:
Bad ground connection from the battery to the block? Loose starter bolts?

Thanks, Dave. :) The starter bolts are tight; I checked them when I checked everything else. I will check the ground battery-to-block connection tomorrow. But why would that make me go through so many starters? :confused:

What keeps going bad - the starter or the solenoid (that's bolted onto it)?
Was the solenoid ever replaced?
Is the thick wire from the battery to the starter motor touching the solenoid's terminal?

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I seem to recall a few years ago someone had the same problem.. ;) ;) All I can suggest is check that spade/tab connector at the top of the starter.. pull it off, clean the oil and grime off, and reinstall so that its good and snug. If not snug, pull it off and pinch together slightly and try again. This thing is a common problem. :cool:

On the starter itself, take it to AZ and have it bench tested before concluding its the problem. You can check this off the car yourself with some jumper cables. :cool:

Last edited:
Back