front jacking position

Mitch90BlackSC

front jacking position

Hey guys,
I was wondering how to fit both a car jack and jack stands on the front jacking "position" on our cars. With the unibody Ford says to put your jack on the jacking "position" and lift. Ok, but its rather small so how can you fit the jack stands under there as well? I don't want to put them somewhere and crush something.
Thanks for the tips.

I use a floor jack and lift under the portion of the K-member that is next to the oil pan. The jack stands work nicely under the structures that the front sway bar bolts to.

David

David,

thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Trouble is I'm working under the front and I'm not sure if that will leave room for me. :D

Or... on the frame just behind the front wheel well, back the jack up about 8" further towards the rear of the car and insert the stand in front of the jack, then release the jack. Most of the time, thats how I do it. the rest of the time, I put the jack under the control arm and lift by the ball joint which is a lot quicker when just removing the wheel. I never crawl under the car however unless I have a jack stand somewhere under the frame as a backup to the hydraulic jack.. never!

u should never work under a car for more than 10 mintues without jackstands, or u might end up like that faces of death video, if anybody has ever seen it, with ur leg dangling by a nerve with the kickin and screaming and ur body going into shock from all the pain. Well anywho do what DAVID NEIGHBERT said and get urself some jackstands, might save ur life.

jacking up

do what i do and drive it onto the 4 post in the garage. It makes working under the car very easy and no cold shoulders either. Sorry cant really help anymore than that. Oh and I wouldnt GO under a car without jackstands under it. I lost an uncle that way.

damn, so sad man, sorry about ur uncle, yeah jacks are unsafe, mines i dont even like to be under it for more than 10 seconds cuz then i start to hear some screeching and i get the jackstands really quick, it is freaking scary

darkstar_one said:
u should never work under a car for more than 10 mintues without jackstands, or u might end up like that faces of death video, if anybody has ever seen it, with ur leg dangling by a nerve with the kickin and screaming and ur body going into shock from all the pain. Well anywho do what DAVID NEIGHBERT said and get urself some jackstands, might save ur life.

What's so special about 10 minutes?
Are hydraulic jacks guaranteed for 10 minutes precisely? :rolleyes:

.... Just giving you a hard time. :D

GUYS:
I never go under my car without my jackstands! Where did you get that I don't have any? :confused:
Ford says you are supposed to put your jack under the cutout in the "front jacking position". And I know you can put it under the lower control arm; which is great except if you are working on that area.
What I want to know is:
Where else can you put the jack safely without harming the unibody? I put the jack under what looked like the frame rail, and when I let the jack down, it damaged it.
thanks

Back