PDA

View Full Version : Rough running engine...

tbirdman
08-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Okay, I am the original owner of a '92 SC, and I've got a problem that I'm having a hard time diagnosing. I've read through the forum here, and was wondering if any of you might have an idea or two on what the problem might be.

When I start the engine, the car seems to run fine. When I start to pull away, however, the tach starts to bounce around and the engine just seems to die, it runs rough and won't accelerate at all. Drive it around, and it will alternate between running fine (which is usually on long stretches of road) to running like crap (usually around town). The check engine light came on, so I took it to a friend at a local shop, and he ran it on a code reader and came up with a code 213 (??), which translated into a coil circuit fault. He replaced the coil, but that did not solve the problem.

I've read about two possible causes, the DIS module, or the (harmonic?) balancer. Could one of these be the problem, or is there something else that might be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get my SC running again.

thunderbird89sc
08-30-2004, 01:38 AM
With the engine running look down at the pully at the bottom of the Motor, and see if it is wrobbling (can't spell), if it is then the balancer is shot and she will leave you on the side of the road. may your friend with the shop and help you check out a few other causes, also it doesnt hurt to have a shop book, go for chiltons if you can find it, haynes is ok, but chiltons is better

Matt

ThunderDave
08-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Okay, I am the original owner of a '92 SC, and I've got a problem that I'm having a hard time diagnosing. I've read through the forum here, and was wondering if any of you might have an idea or two on what the problem might be.

When I start the engine, the car seems to run fine. When I start to pull away, however, the tach starts to bounce around and the engine just seems to die, it runs rough and won't accelerate at all. Drive it around, and it will alternate between running fine (which is usually on long stretches of road) to running like crap (usually around town). The check engine light came on, so I took it to a friend at a local shop, and he ran it on a code reader and came up with a code 213 (??), which translated into a coil circuit fault. He replaced the coil, but that did not solve the problem.

I've read about two possible causes, the DIS module, or the (harmonic?) balancer. Could one of these be the problem, or is there something else that might be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get my SC running again.

A lot of times when you get a coil circuit fault code, it's the DIS.

David