Strut and shock dilemma

JROD

Im getting ready to lower my 94 SC (3" to be exact) and am trying to figure out what kind of shocks I want. Id really like to go with the Koni adjustables but my main concern is whether or not they will be able to properly handle the lower stance, because Id rather not pour $500 into a set of shocks thats just going to die after a short period of time. Does anybody know how well the popular shocks (Koni sports, KYB, etc) hold up on lowered cars? Is there any type of firm shock that would be ideal for my situation or is there a way I could modify the housing or a shock like the Koni sport to better handle the lowered stance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

When I bought my Koni's at Shox.com, the guy there said that on lowered cars, you need a stiffer/stronger shock to handle the new spring. i.e. the new lowered spring is stiffer than OEM, so, the shock has to be that much stronger.

I'm only dropping 1.5", so maybe there are different considerations regarding a drop like yours.

What springs are you going to use?

JROD said:
Im getting ready to lower my 94 SC (3" to be exact) and am trying to figure out what kind of shocks I want. Id really like to go with the Koni adjustables but my main concern is whether or not they will be able to properly handle the lower stance, because Id rather not pour $500 into a set of shocks thats just going to die after a short period of time. Does anybody know how well the popular shocks (Koni sports, KYB, etc) hold up on lowered cars? Is there any type of firm shock that would be ideal for my situation or is there a way I could modify the housing or a shock like the Koni sport to better handle the lowered stance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Koni's have the same range of motion as stock. As long as you don't bottom them out you will be fine. Since SC's were not intended to be lowered that much, you are going to take certain risks upon yourself. A 3" drop is going to alter the suspension parameters enough that whatever product you go with will be somewhat "off" and handling will not be optimal.

Back