Stock Converter @ Sustained High Speed

Dick Hughes

Can't find it but read an old post that the stock converter may balloon at sustained high speed ( For example, 140 for 20min. during controled Nevada open road rally racing). Any thoughts as to how much stock converter in 90 AOD SC could take? Any upgrade or high speed safety ideas? Modded car has aluminium drive shaft, stock 3.27 gears with modded suspension. Thanks

Dick Hughes said:
Can't find it but read an old post that the stock converter may balloon at sustained high speed ( For example, 140 for 20min. during controled Nevada open road rally racing). Any thoughts as to how much stock converter in 90 AOD SC could take? Any upgrade or high speed safety ideas? Modded car has aluminium drive shaft, stock 3.27 gears with modded suspension. Thanks

I read this last week also, try a search on "Speed limiters".

This doesn't fit your AOD but:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12456

I would look into getting a heavy duty torque converter and a transmission cooler.

Hope this helps!

Michael

It shouldn't be too much of a concern, the converter start to balloon at 5200rpm IIRC. You would have to sustain speeds in 175-180mph range to be turning 5200rpm In Overdrive.

Dick, I do not have any usefull information to add for your question, however, please let me know when you enter the racing event, I would like to be present.

Paul

These converters are terrible for ballooning. The only fix is to install a converter with a billet front cover. The ballooning is visible when you remove the transmission because you can see where the front cover pushed into the crankshaft bolts. On the other hand once the cover hits the bolts it can't go much farther.
Alan

ABConverters said:
These converters are terrible for ballooning. The only fix is to install a converter with a billet front cover. The ballooning is visible when you remove the transmission because you can see where the front cover pushed into the crankshaft bolts. On the other hand once the cover hits the bolts it can't go much farther.
Alan

Alan,

Are you talking about about the converters in the AOD transmission, the 4R70W transmission, or both? I haven't read any posts reguarding the AOD transmission doing this.

Just look at a stock converter out of an aod. Almost everyone of them has pressed into the crankshaft if they were driven hard. I was thinking about having a spacer burned out to interface the converter so it doesn't hit the bolts first. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
My only concern is that it would allow the converter to apply pressure to the crank at high speeds. On the other hand they always do that anyway so what difference would it make except to spread the load over a larger area.
Stock AOD front covers are terribly thin. I have seen 12inch 4r70w converters balloon but mostly in 4x4 trucks for some reason. I'll try to get a pic of an aod converter that has the crankbolt marks in it.
Alan

Back