Killed by an LS1 Camaro SS

Chris89cougar

I was driving around yesterday and I see this nice looking Camaro SS. As I pass him I blip the throttle a little so he could hear the S/C. So he starts following me and we get on this nice stretch of road and are side by side going about 35-40mph. We both step on it and I thought my car would downshift to first, but no it stayed in second and slowly took off. By the I hit 95 or so he was about 5+ car lenghts ahead. I know I would have lost regardless of whether it downshifted or not. I don't think his car was stock either. I guess I'll have to do alot more mods to keep up with one of those lol.

Chris

At times like those, you almost wish that you had a manual......lol

Those SS's are TOTALLY Kick you in the seat of the pants FAST! The LS1 along with that 6 speed Manual.......

There are ways that you could have forced the Cat into first, mainly by dropping the tranny to low, and driving it like a Stick, but you would have been able to control the tranny a little better.

Just my .02

I never think to do anything like that, it probably wouldnt have made much of a difference anyways lol. This SS was an auto though.

Chris

no that this would make you win but , get exhaust 5% al pulley al jackshaft pulley and port your manifolds , you wont win but youll give a much better figth

I have:
Mac Intake
10% pulley
ported manifolds
underdrive crank and waterpump pulleys
and a other drivetrain stuff

But I noticed the other day that there was alot of black dust around the snout of the s/c, so I guess the belt slips. The car only makes 12lbs of boost max if the stock gauge is accurate.
My exhaust consists of:
ported manifolds into tbird88 downtubes without cats into a magnaflow resonator dual 2 1/2" inlets to 3" outlet back into the stock pipe that is there with dynomax super turbos in the back.

Chris

yo chris, when u popped in ur 10 percent pulley did u get a bigger idler pulley? they tend to slip, get a bigger diameter pulley, do a search.

As for the LS1 Camaro SS, ive taken on a TRANS AM, which has the same engine, i took him from a rolling start at around 25 miles per hour, i was in 3rd and downshifted to first by pulling into LOW GEAR, felt nasty but thats how i got him, i got him by around 3-4 car lenghts, And at that time i had only my home-made intake on it.

Oh yeah, a shift kit wouldnt hurt.

I have the bigger idler pulley. I have the lentech valve body. I can't manually downshift into first until the car is slowed down to about 10mph.

Chris

YO CHRIS, DID U BY ANY CHANCE TRY TO DOWNSHIFT while holding throttle? as in was ur foot on the pedal when u downshifted? i think thats why it didnt go down to first, when i wanna downshift all the way back to first i make sure my foot is off the throttle, because if it isnt it will just downshift to 2nd, its gonna feel reall rough when u do it but u can get a big *** advantage by doing it... just dont know if u wanna put that kind of pressure on ur transmission.

Last edited:
Chris, with the 10% od pulley, seems like you should have more boost than that. I'd check to see if it's slipping and maybe try a little shorter belt.

DAvid

It is slipping, there is black dust around the snout of the supercharger. I have the smaller kelly springfield belt unless there is a smaller one?

Chris

Back