Is there a difference in AOD'S???

zerocool420

Ive got an 91 SC with an auto this is trashed. Ive found some people on here with AOD's outa SC, but after calculating shipping in with the price, i might as well just have mine rebuilt. I have a line on 2 AOD's, one is outa a 89 crown vic and the other is out of a 90 town car. Seeing as in new the the AOD thing, i have no idea ive they are all created equal. Is there any differance between a SC tranny and another AOD? Thanx in advance for the info guys!!!!

yes there is, SCs aods are built more durable to take all that torque passing to the rear wheels, if ur gonna get urs rebuild i suggest u buy the rebuild kits for SCs which should run about 190 - 250 bucks and u give it to a dependable transmission rebuilder guy to put it in. If u just throw ur SC transmission at them they will just add NA parts in it so they can get more money out of u.

My friends dad, rebuilt mine for 600 bucks, and man o man, was that transmission ever so sweet, he put in a BM shift kit and man it would chirp the wheels going into 2nd. Too bad i killed the transmission though, dont ask me how, its too painfull to remember.

Oh yeah, well my dads friend knew what he was doing, he called my dad up and he told him that my transmission from my SC wasnt STOCK, it was from a NA bird, because the parts numbers inside the transmission didnt match the SC numbers on his computer at work. So he put the SC parts in.

I miss that transmission :(

Just be sure to take it to a dependable mechanic that knows what he will be doing.

darkstar_one said:
Just be sure to take it to a dependable mechanic that knows what he will be doing.
Thats the difficult part.. Most time $600 gets you a rebuild in a rattle-can job. ;)

zerocool420 said:
Ive got an 91 SC with an auto this is trashed. Ive found some people on here with AOD's outa SC, but after calculating shipping in with the price, i might as well just have mine rebuilt. I have a line on 2 AOD's, one is outa a 89 crown vic and the other is out of a 90 town car. Seeing as in new the the AOD thing, i have no idea ive they are all created equal. Is there any differance between a SC tranny and another AOD? Thanx in advance for the info guys!!!!

Most AODs for V6s don't have as many clutches as the SC or V8 versions. Also, Crown VIcs and Grand Marquis have a longer tailshaft and wont work with a T-Bird's driveshaft. You can use a Mustang V8 AOD, but the linkage for the shifter has to be changed. I would either find a local Shop to do a performance rebuild or buy from Art Carr or Lentech. I can't recommend getting a 14-16 year old AOD from the junkyard or another car and going throught the removal and reinstallation. How long do you expect it to last?

Jerry

Back