Motor Mounts Showing signs?

NorthrnSCownr

I changed the oil today and noticed that some of the paint from the filter was worn off where it was rubbing on the ribbed cord that is along that piece of frame. Is that a pretty good sign that the mounts are kapoot? Or could there be another cause as well?
Tom

Most SC filters rub against the black plastic looms that run along the cross member. It can indicate a mount problem, but I'd check 3 things:-
1). Open the throttle up while you have the hood open and look to see if the engine appears to lift up on one side.
2). Pull those looms away from the cross member (may need to cut some of the plastic ties) and look at the clearance between the sump and the cross member. There are power steering lines that run under the front of the sump with some insulating spacers on them (short pieces of hose to protect the metal lines) - see if the spacers are crushed and if the lines are touching the sump - also look for scaring on the sump bottom, a sure sign that the lines are rubbing.
3). Look at the mounts from the back of the engine (underneath) and see if they are cracked or perished looking.

Even a 1995 SC is now 10 years old and would need new mounts.

you probably have a ways to go yet. i had to use a bottle jack and jack up the engineup on mine last week to get the filter wrench on the filter. i should probably check on solid mounts while im on line. i hear that not hard to change.

Back