EGR Valve?

1QuikV6

I have a 89 SC 5 speed and after chasing a code I narrowed it down to the EGR Valve or something associated with it. I bought the EGR Valve and now I need to figure out the easiest way to get to the d**n thing! HELP!!! Am I going to have to take the rear plenum off?

1QuikV6 said:
I have a 89 SC 5 speed and after chasing a code I narrowed it down to the EGR Valve or something associated with it. I bought the EGR Valve and now I need to figure out the easiest way to get to the d**n thing! HELP!!! Am I going to have to take the rear plenum off?

yep,the rear plenum has to come off if you have to replace the EGR...it's probably just clogged or the "hose" connection has come loose or broken..easiest way to check is to remove the wipers/cowl then you can get a better view back there.

So chances are that it is not bad? I didnt think it could go bad after 150k miles. So I DO indeed have to take the plenum off if it is bad... that means vacuum lines and the blower has to come loose.. fun fun.... :(

~B

Pull the tbody,intake plenum,blower as one piece..only 3 bolts hold the blower in place,takes about 15 min.Be sure to unplug the IAC,TPS and the various vac lines,if you have small hands you may be able to unbolt the EGR from the back of the plenum but be careful not to break the EGR pipe as they get weak from heat/age over time.
Good Luck,
z

Cool... ill do that.. nope.. no small hands :) looks like im in for it but it should be another learning experience...

thanks again Z,
~B

Back