Xr7 dave stockish rebuild q's

turbospeed

hi , my oil pan started leaking bad a few days ago , so the engine is coming out and i figured i could do something, and since you have gotten pretty good results with a stockish engine............i have 600-700max for parts only labor down here is pretty cheap so no problems there ,
what parts would you recommend? i may get something extra to get a cam, should i do it? what specs? thanks in advance,

Last edited:
turbospeed said:
hi , my oil pan started leaking bad a few days ago , so the engine is coming out and i figured i could do something, and since you have gotten pretty good results with a stockish engine............i have 600-700max for parts only labor down here is pretty cheap so no problems there ,
what parts would you recommend? i may get something extra to get a cam, should i do it? what specs? thanks in advance,

Pull the heads and check the cylinder walls for wear. If they look good, check your bearings. If there's not too much copper showing ;) then just toss in some new bearings and gaskets/seals and call it a day. A cam is a good idea, I've posted the specs that work well with a mild rebuild in many other posts as well. A new timing chain wouldn't hurt but everything else can stay. On the heads, if you can get them ported that's a huge plus. I'd stick with stock valves and just upgrade the springs. In any case get the guides checked, replace the seals, and have a 3angle valve job done. Check your timing cover to oil pump contact surface where the rotors spin. If it is grooved or worn badly, replace the timing cover and pump. I believe any 3.8 timing cover will work fine but use only the high volume SC pump.

If the cylinders are not so hot then I'd pull it all down and put in new pistons and have the crank trued. Don't take any more off the crank than absolutely necessary. Then change all your sensors, port the exhaust manifolds, replace the HB and you are on your way.

The stock motor is plenty strong and other than rod bearing wear, I've not seen to many problems.

XR7 Dave said:
Pull the heads and check the cylinder walls for wear. If they look good, check your bearings. If there's not too much copper showing ;) then just toss in some new bearings and gaskets/seals and call it a day. A cam is a good idea, I've posted the specs that work well with a mild rebuild in many other posts as well. A new timing chain wouldn't hurt but everything else can stay. On the heads, if you can get them ported that's a huge plus. I'd stick with stock valves and just upgrade the springs. In any case get the guides checked, replace the seals, and have a 3angle valve job done. Check your timing cover to oil pump contact surface where the rotors spin. If it is grooved or worn badly, replace the timing cover and pump. I believe any 3.8 timing cover will work fine but use only the high volume SC pump.

If the cylinders are not so hot then I'd pull it all down and put in new pistons and have the crank trued. Don't take any more off the crank than absolutely necessary. Then change all your sensors, port the exhaust manifolds, replace the HB and you are on your way.

The stock motor is plenty strong and other than rod bearing wear, I've not seen to many problems.

thanks a lot , i already have a BHJ , its supposed to be resuable.......i will try to get the heads ported at the local machine shop. btw what kind of springs? im thinking of changing rings too , and im thinking total seal rings.....

Last edited:
turbospeed said:
thanks a lot , i already have a BHJ , its supposed to be resuable.......i will try to get the heads ported at the local machine shop. btw what kind of springs? im thinking of changing rings too , and im thinking total seal rings.....
Total Seal rings are good, but $$$. Stock replacement type will serve for a stock-mild rebuild.

Call Crane and ask for a spring PN to use. I think a 99833 would be a good stock replacement spring (going from memory, so don't hold me to it). You want 100-120 lbs closed and 280-300 open. Stock closed height is 1.700" +/- .030". Open height would be 1.250" give or take with a stock cam.

Back