Motorcraft offers rebuilt SC motors from ?

vettewars

http://www.motorcraft.com/standard.asp?T=2&M=11&PageID=75

Sorry if this is old news but I went to Ford today to pick up a $20 fuse for the 89 for wipers (ouch) and saw the pamphlet on engines. BTW...this weird fuse looks like a standard fuse would go in the tabs.....so why this weird fuse?

The guy looked up for me the 2 motors offered....89 to 93 is F3SZ6V012ARM and 94/95 is F4SZ6V012BRM both same price at $2120.99 with core charge of $1000.

I asked him if they would take a blown motor (out of 90 I got for $500, guy ran to no oil and threw rod) and he said yeah no problem.....Ford wants to sell motors and they'll take almost anything...even cracked blocks.

He went over the things that come with the new motor and it's all new stuff....I had him verify new crank, new pistons, all new bearings, etc.

Now would you simply order the 93/94 because of other improvements made?
What are the issues if any?

SC motor

Does that Price of 2100 include the 1000.00 core charge or is it 2100 plus 1000 core???

Also is that price for long block or short block

2100 + 1000 core, got a friend who ordered one a few months back, and its a short block

I can tell ya from getting one from Ford, that they don't use a new crank. It's either polished or ground undersized. I have one in my car...and after doing some fine inspection on it, I found nothing. No grindings or shavings of anykind. Even the cam was timed dead on. I'm really impressed. I didn't pull a rod apart to check how much the crank was ground or polished, but I can tell ya it's a .020 overbore with a perfect finish in the cylinders. Also, the heads came already on, so I didn't dare pull them off to check the headgaskets, or I would have lost the warranty on the long block.

They took my motor that had a spun #5 rod bearing (really bad!) and gave me a full credit for it. Now that I have a spare motor from my parts car, I'll do a custom rebuild with all the bells and whistles.

I picked up a reman Ford shortie for about $1400. And that no matter how they build it, it does look perfect & works just as it looks. I've put over 400 rwhp through it religiously with rigorous beating & it runs as the day I droped it in. .. Also, if you do break it, just hand it back to them & they give you another new one. 3 year / 36k miles is what they give on those remans. Really Really good deal. I even think it's as good as a forged bottom end with a much better price tag. But that's my opinion. Most people would argue that it's not possible. They are just assuming that it wouldn't work. That's because there isn't anyone else putting over 400rwhp down on just motor with a stock bottom end.

Anthony

I heard within the last 2 years there's a new reman...

which the guy says is a noticeable improvement over the last one they used. I just can't remember the name....they say they're one of 3 best in the country....EIR???....is that right?

Gotta agree this is a great deal and now I have the makings of a $2500 supercoupe with what could be a better than new engine.

But my big question is....can you simply order the 93/94 and plug it into the 89-93 cars....does it have the better/less foaming oil, etc advantages and what are the issues?

I gotta believe that the headgaskets would be done right and the same on either type you get new now.

If it's a short block it's not going to come with heads.
And the heads are slightly different between 89-93 and 94/95
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38807&highlight=block+difference

There is also a difference with the harmonic balancer and how the ring lines up with the crank sensor.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36248&highlight=block+difference

Otherwise not much difference as far as fitting.

I believe the 94/95 blocks have slightly higher compression due to piston design. The pistons connect to the rods differently too.

The knock sensor is different as well. More info in this link but it's in the members only section.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34298&highlight=block+difference

Search is your friend... even if it takes a little while.

The # 6V012 designates a long block (with heads)

I have somewhere buried in my computer all the differences between the various years. I'll dig that out but I think there's no arguing that the 94/95 motor is the way to go if in fact you can simply plug in that engine to the 89 to 93 computer, or else there aren't any other big changes. I'll do a separate post on that question because there must be someone out there in SCCOA land that has taken a 94/95 motor and put it in an 89 to 93.

But possibly a bigger problem is if you want to get the $1000 core back, they have a policy of "like for like" to get the $1000 core back on the exchange....so the question becomes would you get through that.

The balancer crank trigger wheel is different on the 94-95 and wont work with the early crank sensor. You could probably use a early style balancer on the 94-95 motor.

Jerry

Back