Hey XR7Dave, 5 speed question

Ronald Wendt

I have trouble getting my tranny into reverse at least 1/2 the time. Awhile back I had asked about this, and you had mentioned that maybe a spacer or something was on the wrong side of the 5th/reverse assembly.

I will be doing a clutch job soon and want the trans looked at. Can you tell me again what might be the problem so I can explain to the tranny shop?

The tranny was rebuilt with new blockers, two bearings, seals and a new 5th/reverse assembly about 1 1/2 year ago. Also rebuilt the shifter and replaced the slave and line. I did not drive it much for some time but had no problems at first. It started the reverse thing early last winter.

Thanks for the help

Ron Wendt

try putting the shifter into 3rd before going into reverse. I have to do that or mine will grind once in a while going straight from N to R. Mine has brass blockers in it. I wish I had gotten fiber.

Scott Long said:
try putting the shifter into 3rd before going into reverse. I have to do that or mine will grind once in a while going straight from N to R. Mine has brass blockers in it. I wish I had gotten fiber.

I have fiber blockers. But nothing seems to make it go into reverse that I can figure out. The shifter moves over to where reverse should be but just will not go in. I try going in and out of every gear, whap it back and forth in neutral, push the cluutch in and out, and maybe, it will finally go in reverse. Sometimes it takes jsut a minute of screwing around, sometimes it takes many minutes.

It does not always do it, some days it goes in reverse all the time, other days it never does. I always try to park so I can get out by going forward or park on a hill so I can roll out.

Ron

just a hint to help til you get it fixed. When my 90 was doing that I found it helped to pt it in first and roll it forward an inch or so then shift to reverse. I dont know why it worked, it just did.

I was referring to a washer that goes inboard of the bearing on the 5th/rev shaft. I had a tranny once that had it backwards which allowed the split washer to fall out and the syncro not properly engage. Basically it boiled down to improper assembly. Using all the same part but assembled correctly reverse worked perfectly normal. I feel pretty sure that you may be having a similar problem.

It could also be that the 5th gear shifter rail is not locked in properly. There is an external bolt that holds the 5th gear shifter rail in place. It is on the side of the tranny just forward of the extension housing on the driver's side. Make sure it is fully seated. You can also check the large (I think it's 19mm) bolt on the passenger side. It holds the actual 5th/rev shaft. Both are accessable from the outside.

Thanks Dave, now I am dangerously knowledgeable on this! I will try a couple of the things you mentioned real soon before it comes out

Ron

So I climbed underneath tonight and may have found something

On the drivers side there is a 19mm nut on a stud with a metal bracket attached above where an electric sensor plugs in right in front of the tail piece. The assembly does not tighten up against the housing. But I found there was no smaller bolt holding the bracket in place.

What does having this assembly loose do?

I temporarily got the bracket held in place and in a ride around I was able to get it into reverse every time. But it has always gone in streaks. Morning may tell something different.

IF this is the fix, I am going to buy some lotto tickets for sure!

Ronald Wendt said:
So I climbed underneath tonight and may have found something

On the drivers side there is a 19mm nut on a stud with a metal bracket attached above where an electric sensor plugs in right in front of the tail piece. The assembly does not tighten up against the housing. But I found there was no smaller bolt holding the bracket in place.

What does having this assembly loose do?

I temporarily got the bracket held in place and in a ride around I was able to get it into reverse every time. But it has always gone in streaks. Morning may tell something different.

IF this is the fix, I am going to buy some lotto tickets for sure!

That bolt holds the pivot for the rev/5th shifting fork. I have no idea what the impact of it being loose is, but I guess you will soon know....

I have Reverse!!!

It works every time now. I found the correct bolt and put it on to hold the bracket and it shifts great now. Without the bolt you could pull the shaft out a good 3/16" easy.

thanks XR7 Dave!!

Ron

Back