PDA

View Full Version : Intake Air Temp guage?

hytorksc
09-01-2004, 09:01 AM
I was thinking the other day after reading the posts about spark timing and the intake air temp sensor that i could install a permanent intake air temp meter inside my instrument cluster or wherever it will fit.

Has anyone here ever done that?

fastsc92
09-01-2004, 10:09 AM
You can. Autometer sells an intake temp gauge. I'm sure its available in other series but i know they have it in sport comp 2 1/16". Comes complete but its pricey. It runs about $200-300. I just tapped into my stock sensor as most of us did, however i use a datalogger to display the results in a digital gauge on my lap-top screen.

Here's a link.Autometer Sport Comp Full Sweep (http://hp.autometer.com/products/sport_comp/full_sweep_electric/full_sweep_electric.html)

http://hp.autometer.com/products/product_photos/0033xx/003372.jpg

hytorksc
09-01-2004, 12:46 PM
thanks fastsc92.

sizemoremk
09-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Why couldn't you use a a water temp guage, other than they start about 90 degrees??? I mean, at least you would know if it is really hot...

Isn't that the same sensor as the ect???

I was thining of just wiring up a poor mans multi readout by using a rotory switch and a volt meter to switch between checking different things out...

I know you can find the scale of what voltage = what temp....

hytorksc
09-01-2004, 04:28 PM
that's more like what i was thinking. i didn't know how to ask the question. i think that if you find a real temp gage from another car and measure the resistance across it's leads, then measure the resistance across the sensor that it connects to (if it's the same sensor type setup as our cars) as long as it's analog, you may be able to calibrate it (match it up) by using radio shack resistors to trim. somewhere on this forum was a post regarding converting from an idiot gage to a real oil pressure gage or water temp gage (not sure which). if that's possible, then you could tap into the IAT and figure out a conversion using a cheap gage.

supercatxr7
09-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes you can log or view based on voltage of the ACT sensor. It works on a 0-5volt scale. It is listed in the members section.

Bleed_Ford_Blue
09-01-2004, 06:32 PM
if you guys figure this out I would appreciate it if you could hook me up. I want an Intake temp gauge but I dont want to spend that kind of money on one. If you need the voltage=temp specs I can find them for you.