differances between 89 and 91?

sc0tty8

What are the differances between these cars in terms of the motor?

I was looking on a few sites for a balncer, I notice the one for an 89 is about 150$, and a 91 is closer to 300$.

I know that some of the early model 89's had the duracast crank on it, and some had the steel forged crank in it

So, now if the crank is steel in the 89 and the 91, why such a price increase?

I am trying to find a balancer for my 89, but I am not haveing much luck as of yet.

Is there a way to find out what crank is in it by the vin number? The car was made in 6/89 and from what search turned up, the cars made from nov of 88 to march of 89 had the duracast crank in them.

That was about the only useful thing that search turned up:(

Should be no differences in the 89-93 dampers. That $150 price is probably mis-marked for the SC and is actually for the regular 3.8 and will have a heavy balance weight on it. DO NOT use that one! LOL

I doubt you have a Durcast crank. My car has an April 89 build date and had the forged crank.

Many people have gotten the BHJ aftermarket damper and have been happy with it. You can search on "BHJ" and find a lot of info. Some of the vendors that have banner ads on this site sell the BHJ. Blue Tongue, Spinning Wheels and Super Coupe Performance all come to mind as vendors for the damper.

gldiii said:
Should be no differences in the 89-93 dampers. That $150 price is probably mis-marked for the SC and is actually for the regular 3.8 and will have a heavy balance weight on it. DO NOT use that one! LOL

I doubt you have a Durcast crank. My car has an April 89 build date and had the forged crank.

Many people have gotten the BHJ aftermarket damper and have been happy with it. You can search on "BHJ" and find a lot of info. Some of the vendors that have banner ads on this site sell the BHJ. Blue Tongue, Spinning Wheels and Super Coupe Performance all come to mind as vendors for the damper.

I would be all for the bhj, but, it is out of budget, and, I do not want to worry about the crank pulley, I read that it has to be balanced to the balancer or to use the under drive pullies, so, I am trying to get a stock one, the car has 102k miles on it I doubt it will fail soon.

The v6 NA balancer from what I am finding is 40ish to 90ish new...

Back