PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations?

kevenj90sc
09-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I have a stock 90 SC, with the stock wheels. Due to a recent job change this car has become my daily commuter car, I drive 90+ miles a day. It's all freeway, BUT it's over a twisty mountain pass and I tend not to slow down for corners :-) . Anyway I need tires, any recommendations? I want something really good in rain to avoid hydroplaning ...the car will not be used in snow and ice but i will drive it in fall and spring when it rains. Also what about tire size.... can I go bigger than the stock 225-60R-16's without rubbing anything or should I just stick to what the engineers put on it stock?... thanks for any input.

JStudrawa
09-01-2004, 01:34 PM
I have a stock 90 SC, with the stock wheels. Due to a recent job change this car has become my daily commuter car, I drive 90+ miles a day. It's all freeway, BUT it's over a twisty mountain pass and I tend not to slow down for corners :-) . Anyway I need tires, any recommendations? I want something really good in rain to avoid hydroplaning ...the car will not be used in snow and ice but i will drive it in fall and spring when it rains. Also what about tire size.... can I go bigger than the stock 225-60R-16's without rubbing anything or should I just stick to what the engineers put on it stock?... thanks for any input.

Tons of threads on this if you do a search.

One note, talking to a few shops (Wright's Car Care in Atlanta, for example) and they say Michelin is a great tire all around due to being able to hold it's shape after 30k miles. Lots of other tires are too difficult to balance after that due to losing their roundness (like how a basketball gets egg shaped over years) slightly over the miles. Just repeating what I was told.

Edit: I used www.tirerack.com, ordered 4 Kumho Ecsta KH11's, and had Wright's install them. $350 total, out the door. W rated, makes nice black marks, and is great in the rain so far. If my front suspension wasn't totally crapped out, I'd even tell you how well they hold the road. :)

sizemoremk
09-01-2004, 03:13 PM
I got my Kumhos at tire rack also, but mine are the "Ecsta HP4 716"

I think they are pretty sticky, and nice ride.

Read the reviews there at rire rack, and maybe some at epinions.com

dhetzer
09-01-2004, 04:40 PM

After considerable research, including Trerack testing results, today I purchased BF Goodrich Traction T/A-H rated. I wanted the same characteristics as you are looking for. So far, great handling and very quiet. Paid $400 OUT THE DOOR at Sears including lifetime rotation and balancing. The tire has a 60,000 mile warranty.

JStudrawa
09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
After considerable research, including Trerack testing results, today I purchased BF Goodrich Traction T/A-H rated. I wanted the same characteristics as you are looking for. So far, great handling and very quiet. Paid $400 OUT THE DOOR at Sears including lifetime rotation and balancing. The tire has a 60,000 mile warranty.

I'm not sure what year S/C you have but '89 came with V rated tires. Putting a lower rating on will change some characteristics of the car, like handling and ride. In fact, years ago some tire places wouldn't even install a lower rated tire on a car.

TbirdSCFan
09-01-2004, 06:28 PM
H rated will perform just as well as the V.. that is unless you're driving at a constant speed over 130mph.. at which time you might notice some difference. The key word is constant operation at the rated speed.

kevenj90sc
09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm always leary of buying over the internet, but I've heard lots of comments about www.tirerack.com. Looks like they have good selection and prices but how's their service?..... Any of you who have used them care to comment? And did you get your tires quickly?

dhetzer
09-01-2004, 07:29 PM
H rated will perform just as well as the V.. that is unless you're driving at a constant speed over 130mph.. at which time you might notice some difference. The key word is constant operation at the rated speed.

I have a 90 SC. H rated tires are legitimate for the TBIRD SC according to all tire manufactureres. H is a high performance tire approved for our SuperCoupes, so not to worry. It just is a newer rating than when our baby's were born.

I went with the BFG H instead of V because it's performance was actually a little higher in almost every important category, including handling. The cost difference was almost nothing. Since I never plan to push the Bird to over a sustained 130 mph, I went with the better performing version (H). I know the Goodyear tires that came with my new 1990 were terrible, no traction at all wet or dry. I bet most of today's tires are much better than tires made 14 years ago. Go with a H or V rated tire based on the performance you are looking for. V's almost always sacrifice everyday comfort and quietness vs. the H versions of the same tire.

JStudrawa
09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Tire Rack's service was great. I even called to discuss the tire because it (Kumho KH11) seems half directional. I was curious if someone had come back with left and right tires similar to the late 90's Vette had. He took the time to explain everything to me.

Shipping took 3 days. UPS Ground I think. To Atlanta it was $40 from Indiana's warehouse or $70 from Arizona's warehouse. I had called a local shop that you can find on the Tire Rack site, authorized installers (under Upgrade Garage).

I never saw the guys who put them on. Dropped the car off at night, picked it up at night, paid by CC. Both receipts and bill of lading were in my car and all was good.

Smooth transactions all around. Saved me $200 easy. Big 10 Tires locally quoted me $570 out the door for the same tire. Screw that.

sizemoremk
09-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Same here tirerack was quick and also called me just afer placing the order to verify everyhing.

Tires about three days later... A set for my bird, and my Expedition.

Great experiece!

Bleed_Ford_Blue
09-02-2004, 12:30 AM
I went on a tire shopping excursion today and here is what I found. I went to firestone and got a quote on their fuzion zri in 245/50/R16. The quote was $548.89. Then I went to another tire store and got another quote on sumitomo htr in the same size. That quote was $505.05 (be sure to take your first quote with you so the guy can see the price he has to beat, he wont believe you if you tell him the price). Well, I didnt want sumitomo tires, I wanted the firestone tires, so I went back to firestone and showed the guy the second quote and asked him if he could beat it. So my second firestone quote, on the same tires was $498.47, with all the same stuff -road hazard -mount and balance - and all the other crap. So I saved $50.42 by getting another quote. ( by the way, it is a little known fact that ALL tire companies have haggle room in their prices, ive been doing it for years)

I also went to tire rack and their fuzion tire (exact same tire) was $82 each. I thought wow, saving money. The road hazard was $39.44 and shipping was $39.85. So thats $407.29, a savings of $91.18........woo hoo right? Well, then you got to get them mounted and balanced. The minimum charge I could find around here was $14 each, then you have to replace the valve stems which is $2.89 each, then you have to pay a tire disposal fee which in Oklahoma is $1 each. This brings the total to $478.85 a savings of $19.62. Now I understand that $20 is $20 but then you have to wait for the tires, then take them to the shop, then wait on them to get to it around their appointment schedule. Furthermore, if you get a bolt in your tire or something, how long is it going to take tire rack to replace it. The firestone place will do it same day. Also you know exactly who to bitch at if something goes wrong at the firestone dealer. That is well worth the $20 to me.
Dan

JStudrawa
09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Couple notes...

1. Places like Big 10 Tire wouldn't do road hazard on tires they don't stock. So the Kumho's wouldn't have gotten it anyway. So both prices were without road hazard. If you do go with road hazard, it's definitely worth your while to stay local.

2. I had the tires delivered to the shop itself, much easier. Just call prior and let them know they're coming.

My whole transaction was 4 days from order to picking my car back up. I can wait 4 days for $200 :) Other brands of tire may see different savings though.

I'll keep in mind the haggle room though, thanks! I notice that you're quotes are for two different tires, and they still came down. That's odd compared to other stores where you can only dicker on the same exact product, very cool.

Bleed_Ford_Blue
09-02-2004, 09:10 AM
generally speaking, as long as its a comperable tire thet will try to beat the other guys price.
I used to buy tires in Gainesville Ga when I was in the army, and I would go to firestone and goodyear, I once save over $200 there by this very same practice.

if I had found a $200 dollar savings I would wait too!

Mline
09-02-2004, 08:13 PM
I put BFGoodrich T/A KDWS tires on my car recently and I think they stick way better to wet roads than my old stockers did, but that's not to say there aren't better comparable ones.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDWS

David Neibert
09-02-2004, 08:58 PM
I like the Nitto NT 555s...they look good, wear great and traction is about the same as any other street tire on my SC (lousy).

David

90blkbrd
09-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I like the Nitto NT 555s...they look good, wear great and traction is about the same as any other street tire on my SC (lousy).

David

David,

Let's trade engines...you'll get better traction that way. :D

Michael - in need of tires myself

HSKR
09-03-2004, 07:17 AM
I think I'm going to try out the Avon Tech M550's next that Tire Rack lists on thier website in the 245/50/16 size. Going to step up the the wider tire for better traction and handling. The car has stock size Pep Boys tires on it right now. They were on it when I bought it. They've worked good, and I can't complain about performance of them, but I like to try different things. The Avon tires have a decent tread pattern, and are an ultra high performance all season tire. I plan on going home to Nebraska for winter so needed an all season tire.

I've used the BFG G-Force KDWS on my truck and loved them. Awsome traction in all conditions, even snow. But price is a big factor for me on tires.

For the guy who got the Fuzion tires. Let me know how well they are working. I plan on getting a set of those for my truck next(probably same time as I get tires for the car). I did a check on Tire Rack, and for two sets of the Fuzions. One for the car and one for my truck, it was $869 shipped with road hazard warranty on everything. I can install the tires myself, just have to pay for the balancing.

It's not required to change valve stems when replacing tires, just highly recomended. And for $2-$3 each worth it.

JStudrawa
09-03-2004, 08:35 AM
I think I'm going to try out the Avon Tech M550's next that Tire Rack lists on thier website in the 245/50/16 size. Going to step up the the wider tire for better traction and handling. The car has stock size Pep Boys tires on it right now. They were on it when I bought it. They've worked good, and I can't complain about performance of them, but I like to try different things. The Avon tires have a decent tread pattern, and are an ultra high performance all season tire. I plan on going home to Nebraska for winter so needed an all season tire.

I've used the BFG G-Force KDWS on my truck and loved them. Awsome traction in all conditions, even snow. But price is a big factor for me on tires.

For the guy who got the Fuzion tires. Let me know how well they are working. I plan on getting a set of those for my truck next(probably same time as I get tires for the car). I did a check on Tire Rack, and for two sets of the Fuzions. One for the car and one for my truck, it was $869 shipped with road hazard warranty on everything. I can install the tires myself, just have to pay for the balancing.

It's not required to change valve stems when replacing tires, just highly recomended. And for $2-$3 each worth it.

I run 275/50/17 Falken Ziex STZ/01's on my Fronitier. Great dry grip, bad wet handling. I'm figuring this is because they're sport SUV tires, not passenger car tires. Though it lowered my opinion of Falken a bit. Always thought they made serious performance tires.

I'm liking the Kumho so far, great bang for the buck.

kevenj90sc
09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Anybody used the Falken ZE-512 "H" rated tires? I think I've settled on these because I can get them locally (Sears) so I dont have to wait for shipping and because the price seems reasonable. They look like what I want in a tire. I had a set of Falken's on a Firebird Formula 350 but that was 9 years ago and I have no idea now what model tire they were..I just remember I was happy with them overall. I can get these Falken's from Sears for $75 each plus balancing. If anyone has experience with these let me know, thanks!

David Neibert
09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
David,

Let's trade engines...you'll get better traction that way. :D

Michael - in need of tires myself

I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with their tires providing good traction. You only need good traction at the race track, and none of the street tires out there are going to be sticky enough for even a moderatly modded SC.

IMO, people should get sticky tires (MTs, BFGs, Hoosiers ect..) for the track and long wearing ones for the street. If my tires had good traction on the street, it wouldn't be any fun to drive :D .

David

Bleed_Ford_Blue
09-03-2004, 12:43 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with their tires providing good traction. You only need good traction at the race track, and none of the street tires out there are going to be sticky enough for even a moderatly modded SC.

IMO, people should get sticky tires (MTs, BFGs, Hoosiers ect..) for the track and long wearing ones for the street. If my tires had good traction on the street, it wouldn't be any fun to drive :D .

David
I agree completely, there is nothing more fun than sliding my sc around.