You're all sick sick individuals

AverageJoe

Just felt like admitting that while I'm a decent mechanic, I tip my hat to those of you who choose to put yourself through the pain of owning and working on an SC. I got through changing the transmission in a 94 auto a couple days ago, and now I'm up to my elbows in a 35th 5speed. HGs, new injector harness (previous owner turned it into a hack job), and redoing the vacuum system with all new hoses. Yeah, sounds like fun eh? And to top it off I feel like I'm playing Where's Waldo in the bolt department.

You're all sick sick people to willingly put yourself through it all. I may be slower, but my v8 is so much easier to work on. So I tip my hat to those of you who've done extensive work to your SC, I don't know how you put up with it. :D

AverageJoe said:
Just felt like admitting that while I'm a decent mechanic, I tip my hat to those of you who choose to put yourself through the pain of owning and working on an SC. I got through changing the transmission in a 94 auto a couple days ago, and now I'm up to my elbows in a 35th 5speed. HGs, new injector harness (previous owner turned it into a hack job), and redoing the vacuum system with all new hoses. Yeah, sounds like fun eh? And to top it off I feel like I'm playing Where's Waldo in the bolt department.

You're all sick sick people to willingly put yourself through it all. I may be slower, but my v8 is so much easier to work on. So I tip my hat to those of you who've done extensive work to your SC, I don't know how you put up with it. :D

Having installed headers on a 4.6 Bird one time I don't really think that my SC is all that bad. I'm thinking there aren't too many people who have installed headers on a 4.6 Bird without either a) pulling the motor or b) dropping the K member. Although I suppose that once you have done anything 5-6 times it doesn't seem so bad. lol

yo i second that. although i love my sc's and cant imagine driving anything else. everytime there is something to be done machanicaly on it i just cringe knowing the pain that is coming. i do feel good though once its done and working that i did it myself.

Having owned both, I'll tell you that the 4.6 is more reliable, and for the most part, easier to work on. But you can't beat having the SuperCoupe, having all that torque makes it worth the extra pain. I haven't put headers on my 4.6 yet, but I know the pain involved in that. But basic items on the 4.6 are easier to fix, like the waterpump. I can do a 4.6 waterpump in less than an hour, and that's taking my time.

AverageJoe said:

man wtf you say we are all sick,just because some of us are special (tear) doesn't give you the right to say we are sick like there is something wrong with us.........j/k you know you love those sc's besides i say if you can work on a sc you can work on just about anything so hurry and get that 5 spd running i want to drive :p

nastybird93sc said:
man wtf you say we are all sick,just because some of us are special (tear) doesn't give you the right to say we are sick like there is something wrong with us.........j/k you know you love those sc's besides i say if you can work on a sc you can work on just about anything so hurry and get that 5 spd running i want to drive :p

Don't blame me for how long this will take, blame Jegs and ARP. :p

yo nasty i think you have made a great point. everything else is just cake when it comes to working on it compared to the sc.

reply to average joe

I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint about servicability.
But as the old saying goes, it it is not some trouble, it is not worth having anyway. I make my living as a mechanic, and if you dread any repair job, and not a SC you are nearly defeated and not in the right frame of mind to do it. True, The SC's are not easy to service or repair but, The pleasure of owning one for me far outweighs all the difficulties. Mediocrity has plenty of friends and lots of company. I prefer to blaze my own trail and not walk the worn out path of a lot of things in this life. Thanks and no offense was meant by what I said.

the shop where I take my SC for anything thats above my head have formed a club of their own called T.A.S.C.

Technicians

Against

Super

Coupes

apparently they are accepting memberships, and the numbers are growing rapidly!!! :p

wincher47 said:
I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint about servicability.
But as the old saying goes, it it is not some trouble, it is not worth having anyway. I make my living as a mechanic, and if you dread any repair job, and not a SC you are nearly defeated and not in the right frame of mind to do it. True, The SC's are not easy to service or repair but, The pleasure of owning one for me far outweighs all the difficulties. Mediocrity has plenty of friends and lots of company. I prefer to blaze my own trail and not walk the worn out path of a lot of things in this life. Thanks and no offense was meant by what I said.

Cars and MN12s are my love, my hobby, my passion. I've yet to come across any car project I haven't been gung ho willing to jump in feet first. I may cuzz up a storm and make up some new words (SCs have a tendency to cause that more than most :D ), but I'll get the job done to the best of my ability, and done as quick as I can get it done, without cutting corners and creating unnecessary risks towards future breakage.

My family keeps telling me to go into the automotive industry after my enlistment is up, but I don't want to make my hobby into my job. I don't want to burn myself out on it. And while I do intend to own several SCs in my life, when it comes to doing work and fixing issues, I'll stick with my expensive V8. :D

And another quick point, if someone brings you an SC that almost doesn't run, these cars can be a nightmare to diagnose if they aren't throwing any codes... :rolleyes:

difficult jobs

Try puting kooks headers on a 4.6 bird. It is a MFer to put on. I had to drop the K member and drop the engine below the K member. It took the better part of 2 days.

You think our plugs and wires are bad? try a 93 F body and then tell me its hard. Talk about no room and the wires run behind a pully. NIGHTMARE
I have done far more to a SC then any other car. I just think its worth the trouble.

what was ford thinking? lol. about a month ago i started a little project to take the heads off my 91. its so frustrating that i got down to them, but havent pulled them off yet. but i love workin on the car. here on fort campbell they have auto shops where you can rent a bay and they have all kinds of tools. i love the look on their faces when i say i need a full lift to change my plugs. they wanna know why and i just pop my hood. "need i explain more clearly sir?" :p

scbird1 said:
You think our plugs and wires are bad? try a 93 F body and then tell me its hard. Talk about no room and the wires run behind a pully. NIGHTMARE
I have done far more to a SC then any other car. I just think its worth the trouble.

I've got a friend who has a 96 Trans Am, I've been through that pain before. :D

So yeah, the deeper I get into this car, the more issues I find in it. Cylinders 1 and 3 running amazingly rich, while cylinder 2 is really really lean. 4-6 are all beautiful. So I'm getting the heads reworked as we type, and also planning to rework the vacuum system early next week. The car never threw any codes, but when you could get it to idle the boost gauge was sitting right around 1inch of vacuum. So many issues, so little time/money...

Back