Belt squealing after A/C delete

Jeremy_K

I just deleted my A/C and converted the stock tensioner pulley by the alternator. My problem is when i accelerate rapidly then let off the gas i can hear a squeal from the belt. i can't get it to squeal while it's parked though, only when it's under a load. why would it be squealing when i let off the gas??? :confused:

Your belt is not tight enough. What size belt do you have? Use a 55'' belt if you are using stock pulleys. How do you have it routed? It should go overtop of the tensior by the alternator and you will probably have to losen the top alternator bolt and push the alternator over while u put the belt on. I only have a 5 rib belt on mine and it never squeals, only when i first start up my car and there has been heavy rain coming in my hood scoop. Good Luck

heres a pic- http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5128

super red91 said:
Your belt is not tight enough. What size belt do you have? Use a 55'' belt if you are using stock pulleys. How do you have it routed? It should go overtop of the tensior by the alternator and you will probably have to losen the top alternator bolt and push the alternator over while u put the belt on. I only have a 5 rib belt on mine and it never squeals, only when i first start up my car and there has been heavy rain coming in my hood scoop. Good Luck

heres a pic- http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5128
yes, mine is routed the same way. i used a 56" belt. we called all over town and couldn't find a 55" in stock anywhere. where did you buy yours?

NMxr7SC said:
yes, mine is routed the same way. i used a 56" belt. we called all over town and couldn't find a 55" in stock anywhere. where did you buy yours?

If you go to www.rockauto.com and type K080545 in the parts search you will find one. They are like 29.00 shipped. That's what I'm going to use. :D

I got my belt at autozone, it was just some cheap belt they have there (like 5.99). Ive had that on my car for almost a year with no problem, I wouldnt spend 25 on a belt. Mines only a 5 rib also which I will work fine since the overall belt length is shorter so you wont need such a wide belt like the stock 8 rib.

You convert to a 5 rib by buying a 5 rib belt and putting it on your stock pulleys..LOL. Thats all theres nothing else to it.

so the best size belt is to go with a 55" if i can find one locally ? also what is better to have a 8 rib or 5 rib ? is it just harder to find a 8 rib compared to a 5 rib at local places ? i'm goin to the track this weekend and i will probably do this in a cpl days
Thanks Alex L

Back