Manual Transmision fluid questions

Lycaon

Hello all,

I have a 5-spd SC and I think it is needing fluid, If nothing else I think I need to check it. Someone told me that you need to use Automatic trans fluid in it and I was wondering if thats true. Also how do you put fluid in it? Via taking the shifter off? And if so, how far up do I fill it? lol lots of questions that need answering :)

Thanks everyone!

-Brandon

I am using GM Syncromesh synthetic manual transmission fluid and Ford friction modifier in my 5 speed.

The fill plug is on the left side of the tranny. I used a funnel and long hose to fill it from the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Hopefully, all the answers you need!

Brandon.........your 5-speed uses automatic transmission fluid. DO NOT USE GEAR OIL. I would recommend you use any synthetic automatic transmission fluid. I use Royal Purple Sychromax synthetic manual transmission fluid.

You add or change the fluid like this. On the driver side of the transmission there are two plugs. One labeled FILL (the upper one) and one labeled DRAIN (the lower one). If you want to change the fluid, remove the bottom plug first then loosen the top one and remove slowly. When the top plug is removed the fluid comes out real fast. So be ready to catch fluid. To fill the transmission put the DRAIN plug back in. It will take between 3-4 quarts of transmission fluid to refill it. I use one of those hand pumps that screws right on top of a quart bottle to fill the transmission. Fill the transmission with fluid until fluid just starts to run out of the FILL hole. Reinstall the FILL plug and you are done.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque.

my owners manuel says you can use 80w if its noisy but i always used plain old atf and i try to change it every year it gets dirty quick

Thanks guys,

Lifes been a bit hectic the past 6 months so i haven't been able to get on here much (or much of anything else lol)

Thanks for the info, prob be this weekends project :)

-Brandon

Back