How much would it cost to redo the entire ABS system?

bigjoe25

How to DELETE the ABS system and replace with a Mustang Master cylinder!

I am curently in the process of reworking my abs system. How much do you think it would cost for the pump, acumulator, and everything.

Also, where could I get these parts for a reduced cost?

Last edited:
The Teves IIs are up for auction all the time on ebay. I even bid on a few just for a spare, but the nice ones always fetch a good bid usually more than $200.. but believe me, if you need one, that is a "pinch me I must be dreaming" type bargain.

TbirdSCFan said:
The Teves IIs are up for auction all the time on ebay. I even bid on a few just for a spare, but the nice ones always fetch a good bid usually more than $200.. but believe me, if you need one, that is a "pinch me I must be dreaming" type bargain.

Yeah I need one. None on ebay right now, unless I didnt look hard enough.

How much would it cost at the dealership for a refurbished unit? I can get a discount becuase a buddy of mine worked at a ford dealership. Any guesses? I might go have a price check done on it.

Last edited:
bigjoe25 said:
I am curently in the process of reworking my abs system. How much do you think it would cost for the pump, acumulator, and everything.

Also, where could I get these parts for a reduced cost?

Way too damn much not to mention you'll get to work on it again real soon after repairing it. The system is antique and not very good. This is just my opinion and does not neccassarily reflect the opinion of management, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
My SC no longer sports ABS!(YIPEE!!!!!!! Happy days are here again!) :D :D :D :D :D

MIKE 38sc said:
Way too damn much not to mention you'll get to work on it again real soon after repairing it. The system is antique and not very good. This is just my opinion and does not neccassarily reflect the opinion of management, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
My SC no longer sports ABS!(YIPEE!!!!!!! Happy days are here again!) :D :D :D :D :D

Would it be possible to remove the ABS system and just have normal Lock-up brakes? I dont like abs personaly anyway.

Sure!!!! The vac booster and the master cylinder from a 85 Mustang GT bolt on and then you need to replumb the brake lines to the front and rear wheels.
The job did'nt take as long as trying to troubleshoot the ABS system.
I dont like ABS brakes either and you're the first person here other than myself to say that. Welcome to the minority!!!! :D

MIKE 38sc said:
Sure!!!! The vac booster and the master cylinder from a 85 Mustang GT bolt on and then you need to replumb the brake lines to the front and rear wheels.
The job did'nt take as long as trying to troubleshoot the ABS system.
I dont like ABS brakes either and you're the first person here other than myself to say that. Welcome to the minority!!!! :D

Can you reuse the stock brake lines or do you have to use something speical?

So all I would need is a
Vac booster
Master Cylinder
From an 1985 Mustang GT.

Correct? Any where I can get some more info on this please? Isnt the vac booster built in on the master cylinder or would I need both items seprate? Also is the master cylinder for mustangs the same from like 79-93?

*edit*
Would this ebay auction work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tegory=33566&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:
No you cant reuse the stock lines. The non ABS system is a split system(I think thats the propper name). Meaning one chamber of the master cylinder provides hydro pressure to 1 front wheel and 1 back wheel with a proportioning valve in the rear wheel line. The stock system uses 1 line going to the rear wheels that splits at the rear of the car in order to feed both rear wheels. Same for the front.

MIKE 38sc said:
No you cant reuse the stock lines. The non ABS system is a split system(I think thats the propper name). Meaning one chamber of the master cylinder provides hydro pressure to 1 front wheel and 1 back wheel with a proportioning valve in the rear wheel line. The stock system uses 1 line going to the rear wheels that splits at the rear of the car in order to feed both rear wheels. Same for the front.

You have a PM, can you elaborate the processs there? Thanks a TON you have no idea how much this will help me.

I am interested in ditching the ABS system as well. It isnt worth the hassle, and my lights flash when i hit the brakes. So, to use Mustang stuff, the vac and master bolt right on? Anything else needed besides line and fluid? thanx for any help.

Me too. It's useless. Maybe Mike could do a writeup for us to get us going in the right direction. Mike?

well my dad deleted the ABS system on my car yet he put on a vac booster and the master cylinder from a crown victoria. pedal is kinda spongy.. i would like to put back my ABS system, which i mean ABS, come on, can probably save ur life right? am i right folks? the wiring is still there. But anyone who,

is this what i would need:

mastey cylinder from a 85 GT w/ 4 wheel disc
vac booster also from a 85 GT
???

how much am i looking at? or should i just get a accumulator and pop in my ABS system.

can i use any later GT ones? or can i buy the one from that dude up there that he posted on ebay which is for a 89 GT???

Back