Exhaust

supercharged24

I have read a lot about this but I wanna make sure I don't screw anything up...I got a quote on cutting my cats and Resenator out and welding in straight pipes for $90 to do it all. There are only two cats right? Cutting them out won't hurt the car will it? Does that quote seem high or about right? Thanks for any comments.. :)

supercharged24 said:
I have read a lot about this but I wanna make sure I don't screw anything up...I got a quote on cutting my cats and Resenator out and welding in straight pipes for $90 to do it all. There are only two cats right? Cutting them out won't hurt the car will it? Does that quote seem high or about right? Thanks for any comments.. :)

You are correct the 89 SC only has two cats. Removing them will not hurt anything but your emissions. I'm assuming you’re in a state/county/city that does not check emissions.
90 doesn't sound to unreasonable to me.

I am keeping the mufflers...cutting out the cats and resenator and welding in straight pipes, mostly just to relief pressure on the head gaskets , maybe a little for the sound and maybe just a little more power :D

Ok sounds good, the reason why I mentioned it is, I'm planning to do my exhaust as well & right now I'm running with basically nothing attached (well a short pipe) and man is that loud, granted the exhaust is exiting the car just below my feet.
:D

supercharged24 said:
Thought it had two o2 sensors though, where is the second? I know you said one in on the manifold..

yup your right, if I remember correctly the Drivers side is located on the Manifold & the passenger side is located right after the manifold, on the downpipe but before the cat right by the starter.

I am getting ready to do this..(cut the cats and resenator out and replace them with straight pipes, and leaving the stock mufflers) Will it be extremely loud? I don't think it will with the mufflers still on it...Also, it should lessen the restrictivness of this stock exhaust system won't it? Thanks

EDIT: Oh yeah, I won't get a CEL from not enough back pressure will I? Thanks again

supercharged24 said:
I am getting ready to do this..(cut the cats and resenator out and replace them with straight pipes, and leaving the stock mufflers) Will it be extremely loud? I don't think it will with the mufflers still on it...Also, it should lessen the restrictivness of this stock exhaust system won't it? Thanks

EDIT: Oh yeah, I won't get a CEL from not enough back pressure will I? Thanks again

You better do some more research before you do this. The 2 O2 sensors need the back pressure of the cats to be able to read properly. You may not get a CEL but your air to fuel mixure will be to rich/lean, I can't remember which. There are ways around this problem, but like I said you should "search" the threads for the answers.

In my personal opinion I would replace the resonator with a high performance one and lose the mufflers. I've heard a SC with no res. and two flowmasters and it sounded like a tractor when you hit the gas. Not to mention from what I understand the res. is an important part of how the exhaust works on this car. With a HP res. you should accomplish your back pressure goals and not have any sensor problems. I would do a search to reasearch what others have to say about the restrictions in the system.

I'd get a good resonator and ditch the mufflers. I'm running with stock resonator (for now) and no mufflers and it sounds fantastic.

I am not concernd with the resenator. I am more worried about the cats, I don't want the car to run rich or lean, or to get a CEL. That is all. I am not worried about sound at all, yes it would be nice to have a nice sound but I will worry about that later, I just wanna relieve pressure on the gaskets. Thanks

supercharged24 said:
I am not concernd with the resenator. I am more worried about the cats, I don't want the car to run rich or lean, or to get a CEL. That is all. I am not worried about sound at all, yes it would be nice to have a nice sound but I will worry about that later, I just wanna relieve pressure on the gaskets. Thanks

If you read the link that I posted above, there isn't a lot of back pressure from the cats. Stock cats are fine at your current horsepower.

Back