So close, but not enough...(Track times)

fastsc92

Well i decided to get to the track before i move away from home for the college year again. Last month I was running 13.5 @ 103. This week i added a 95 style blower with a ported outlet. Ran 13.019 @ 104. So so so so so close to 12's, which was my goal for the car.( for now.... ;) )

First run, lauched hard, pulled a 1.7 short time, but ran really really lean (18:1) in 3rd so i shut it right down. Turns out the vac line to the fuel pressure reg blew off. So i had no fuel enrichment under boost or under n20. I fixed that and made a pass at 13.019 @ 104. Air/fuel was dead on what i wanted, 11.9 flat all across the board in every gear. Third run I wanted 12's real bad to i stepped up to the 75 shot. Launched hard with a 1.7 short time again, missed 3rd and then that vac line blew off again in 3rd. I caught it right away again so i was able to shut it down right away. Didn't get into 3rd or 4th but still ran 13.6 @ 97. So i think 12's are obtainable, hopfully next time.

So basically the night could have been better. Car was running great, just dumb stuff happens as always. I think my wideband unit paid for itself really quick. If i didn't have it, i'm sure we would have had a melt-down.

fastsc92 said:
Well i decided to get to the track before i move away from home for the college year again. Last month I was running 13.5 @ 103. This week i added a 95 style blower with a ported outlet. Ran 13.019 @ 104. So so so so so close to 12's, which was my goal for the car.( for now.... ;) )

First run, lauched hard, pulled a 1.7 short time, but ran really really lean (18:1) in 3rd so i shut it right down. Turns out the vac line to the fuel pressure reg blew off. So i had no fuel enrichment under boost or under n20. I fixed that and made a pass at 13.019 @ 104. Air/fuel was dead on what i wanted, 11.9 flat all across the board in every gear. Third run I wanted 12's real bad to i stepped up to the 75 shot. Launched hard with a 1.7 short time again, missed 3rd and then that vac line blew off again in 3rd. I caught it right away again so i was able to shut it down right away. Didn't get into 3rd or 4th but still ran 13.6 @ 97. So i think 12's are obtainable, hopfully next time.

So basically the night could have been better. Car was running great, just dumb stuff happens as always. I think my wideband unit paid for itself really quick. If i didn't have it, i'm sure we would have had a melt-down.

Nice runs, what do you think you'd run without the N20? Just curious, because I'm running similar numbers. Ran a 13.66 at 102, but had a crappy 60' time of 2.179.

I have no idea, my guess would be around 13.8 without it. I'm only running a 65 shot, which really only gives me about 50hp at the wheels. My car is basically stock, with numerous bolt-ons. I'm still running a stock IC and tubes, as well as a stock inlet plenum (95 style). I hope with my frount mount, a re-working of my exhaust and a MP plenum i should shave about .5 sec. off my time. Only time will tell i guess.

So What up with people blowing the vac line off of the fuel pressure regulator? Why is it happening?

Shane

well for one thing, i never had a hose clamp on there. It was a tight fit so i just used a wire-tie and figured it would be fine. I havent touched it for over a year now. Before the blower swap i was only seeing 11psi with these heads and cam. Now i get 14-15psi, and 16psi with n20. Because i'm using a dry kit, the kit actually uses a small amount of nitrous pressure and pushes even harder on the regulator. So you already have 16 psi of boost pressure in that hose, along with the added n20 pressure of something like another 15psi for like 30psi in that vac hose. No surprise that it blew off. I just have to take to blower off again so i can get back there and add a small hose clamp to the line. At first i thought it was the regulator itself because i'm using an adjustable unit. But it was just the line so i'm happy about that.

Back