Engine wouldnt Idle!!

zerocool420

I just bought a bone stock 90 auto SC and when u first start it up it runs and drives fine. After it warms up and u shut it off, more times than not, when u start it back up, it wouldnt idle right, u have to keep ur foot on the gas to keep it running. Now sometimes when its warm and u start it up, it idles just fine, but usually if u blip the throttle, it will go back to not idleing right. The car runs great when u give it gas and crusies fine and picks up speed fine, no stumble or studdering. Whats happening here cause its got me confused, im sure it has to be a sensor or something cause its not a spark or fuel issue as it runs fine after u get it moving. Any info that u guys can give me would be much appreciated, thanx!!!!

idle

u guys are kidding me right, no one else has had a similar problem who can lend some assistance, help me out here!

There's a lot of possibilities on what it could be. If you don't have a scanner, you can check for codes with a jumper wire on the eec port where the scanner would hook up. It's up by the firewall on the passenger side. You turn the key on and it goes through the test and the CEL blinks out the codes. Do a search, there are threads on the site that describe how to do it. Two digit codes for 89/90 and three digit codes for 91-95.

You can also pick up a cheap scanner at Advance or Autozone for not much. The scanner comes with a book with the codes listed in it. I just bought one off www.advanceautoparts.com with digital readout for $35, plus shipping. A lot easier than counting the blinking light.

I'm in Raleigh, nice to have another SCer in NC on here.

Good luck.

David

idle

thank you for the info, i just went to autozone and got a code reader so now i can check for a problem. I just bought my first SC 2 weeks ago and i bought another one yesterday so im startin on a collection. ive got a 90 and 91 auto, no all i need to do is get a 92 and 93 stick to finish my collection, lol! thanx again for the reply!

Could be many things

General things to check;

Dirty air filter - I've had a 90 XR-7 die when the filter was 1 month old because it was dirty.

Wires/plugs old - If stock wire do a resistance test and if mileage is over 100k then replace wires & plugs.

Vacuum / fuel pressure - if the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator is off u r running rich, check vacuum warmed up also..possible leak, ck the fuel pressure, fuel filter been changed?

It sounds like a basis problem that has cheap fixes...you just need more research...

Back