Speed sensitive power steering??

NorthrnSCownr

--Speed sensitive power steering--
I read this on someones web page relating to what came with the SC's. I have never heard of this related to the SC, nor do I understand what it is. :confused: Could anyone offer thier .02?
Tom

It's referred to as Variable Assist Power Steering or EVO (I don't know what that stands for). It's inputs are the steering wheel rotation sensor and the vehicle speed sensor. It provides full power steering assist at low speeds for easy parking and during evasive maneuvers (running from the cops? :D ). It provides minimum assist at high speeds for directional stability and better road feel.

Taken from the Ford Service Manual and Haynes Repair Manual.

Aahhhhh.
I see. Thank you. Now I know what that funny sensor is around my steering shaft that I found when looking for my hazard flasher relay!
Thanks again,
Tom

J.D. said:
It's referred to as Variable Assist Power Steering or EVO (I don't know what that stands for). It's inputs are the steering wheel rotation sensor and the vehicle speed sensor. It provides full power steering assist at low speeds for easy parking and during evasive maneuvers (running from the cops? :D ). It provides minimum assist at high speeds for directional stability and better road feel.

Taken from the Ford Service Manual and Haynes Repair Manual.

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if this was an option on all MN-12's or just the SuperCoupe? Was it included on the Sport Package T-birds?

NorthrnSCownr said:
Aahhhhh.
I see. Thank you. Now I know what that funny sensor is around my steering shaft that I found when looking for my hazard flasher relay!
Thanks again,
Tom

The sensor is also used by the ARC system to firm up the shocks while in AUTO mode, when the speed of the vehicle is above 18 mph and the calculated lateral acceleration is greater than predetermined values.

Taken from the Ford Service Manual.

traveler said:
Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if this was an option on all MN-12's or just the SuperCoupe? Was it included on the Sport Package T-birds?

This feature was standard on the SC, Sport, and LX (in 1992; other years may differ). I don't know if it was an option on the base model.

J.D. said:
This feature was standard on the SC, Sport, and LX (in 1992; other years may differ). I don't know if it was an option on the base model.

Where can one buy the EVO system? I believe my EVO system has gone bad. When I take a turn, the sterring wheels feels like it is loosing and gaining the Power option. It is rather scary. And it only happens at speeds higher than 35, but lower than 60-65. So I can only think that it would be the EVO system. Does anyone know where I can buy one and how much will it cost me?

-Kornhaus

The EVO "kit" ran me $120 and that was a discounted price from John Nolan Ford (Cincinnati). They will give you a discount if you tell them you belong to this club. There are probably other outlets where you can get a discounted or used EVO, just search this site. The "EVO Actuator Kit" as it is called includes the valve and a teflon O-ring and a couple of other rubber O-rings.

Please note, I was experiencing same problem as you and replaced my p/s pump and the EVO. While my low-speed p/s problems have cleared up, I'm still having that wacky problem at higher speeds, where it feels like a gremlin messing with your steering. This seems especially true when going through a tight high-speed turn(such as a on or off ramp). My problem is not as bad as it was before the p/s pump replacement and it is more intermittent.

I'm wondering if my speed sensor connected to the steering is causing the problem or I have issues with the steering rack which is all original.

Your problem could be something as simple as the actuator in the steering pump. The Service Manual has a procedure for connecting a test lamp to a diagnostic connector in the glove box to check the actuator, steering wheel sensor, and speed sensor.

Search

There is a lot of info on this subject. Many of us have had the problem with the pulsating steering. some have repaired it, some have learned to predict and live with it. I read about one SC owner that replaced his entire steering system including sensors, and still couldnt find the problem.
J.D. are you talking about the FORD manual? That info on the system would be very helpful, I havnt seen any of it on the boards, except for firm ride flash codes. JJ

james5275 said:
There is a lot of info on this subject. Many of us have had the problem with the pulsating steering. some have repaired it, some have learned to predict and live with it. I read about one SC owner that replaced his entire steering system including sensors, and still couldnt find the problem.
J.D. are you talking about the FORD manual? That info on the system would be very helpful, I havnt seen any of it on the boards, except for firm ride flash codes. JJ

Yes, I'm referring to the Ford Body/Chassis/Electrical/Powertrain Service Manual.
So did the SC owner who couldn't find the problem after replacing the entire steering system including sensors, ever replace the control module?

Back